Fsih dying, help please (emergency)

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by dirtysven, May 7, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. dirtysven

dirtysven Astrea Snail

I appreciate your constructive criticism, really. Salinity was at .024 and drop it to .020 in the same day, which is my bad on my part. Im just trying to make it better for them, but I guess it has been one of those things were Im thinking im doing good to them but really im doing bad, real bad. Now that they are in a ok QT tank, i will try and keep parameters good for the 6 weeks that;s if they dont die before then.

2. Click Here!

3. vawdka

vawdka Coral Banded Shrimp

schackmel is awesome and very knowledgeable. The worse thing to do in this hobby is panic and in some cases the best thing to do is nothing at all except make sure your water is as healthy for your fish as possible. For instance ich is no problem to most people just keeping their water parameters in check usually fixes it.

I luckily didn't have many fish, I had two. I bought them together so I figured why QT them since they are the only fish I had. Then shortly after I noticed some strange symptoms I thought was ich due to my lack of experience. Then other things I noticed were strange. I couldn't copper treat my tank or get the fish out without ripping the tank apart. I figured just do everything I could to keep them healthy as possible. I had hope until they stopped eating.

I had a domino damsel and a dotty back. Both of which are pretty hearty normally. My tank is only 10g and since the incident, I have been fish-less and now going on my 7th full week of no fish. Not sure what the velvet life span is anymore off the top of my head. I just remember I wasn't sure at the time because I was noobish if it was velvent, brooklynella, or ich.

2 people like this.
  4. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

+1.. Oh and wait to buy more fish.

5. dirtysven

dirtysven Astrea Snail

How long, because I was planning to get a purple tang and throw him in the qt

6. vawdka

vawdka Coral Banded Shrimp

Knowing you have velvet in your QT already why risk it if you can wait? You would just be exposing a possibly healthy fish to a very deadly disease.

Also, your parameters on that QT tank are going to go nuts on you because it isn't cycled either.

Last edited: May 10, 2012
  7. Doratus

Doratus Teardrop Maxima Clam

Honestly, I would just forget about Tangs in general.

Keep your fish count low and the ones that you do keep should be small and light eaters.

You may think that I am just being mean, but if you take my advice, and the advice of many others here, you will be much happier... You'll save a lot of money and a lot of heartache.

8. Click Here!

9. Nu-Nu

Nu-Nu Bubble Tip Anemone

Dont get a purple tang. That will just make things worse

10. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

REALLY????????:confused:
    You got into this problem from over-populating your tank. You know you have a deadly disease and you are thinking about getting another fish........a tang at that? Why dont you get a shark and throw in there while you are at it!

You react WAY too fast and you are not only going to loose a lot of money in this hobby, but even worse you are killing/harming animals.

In the thread is a post by me that states how long the tank has to be empty. Go back and READ EVERYTHING that has been posted on here and then go read more information on velvet.

So you see nothing on the fish right now so you assume it is dead! It is not it is in the tomont stage (where it detaches from the fish) and this stage reproduces new spores at an alarming rate which will start the life cycle all over again!

EVEN IF YOU DIDNT HAVE ONE OF THE DEADLIEST FISH DISEASES IN YOUR TANK, YOU ONLY HAVE A 50G TANK, NOT BIG ENOUGH FOR 1 TANG BUT DEFINATELY NOT BIG ENOUGH FOR 2.

11. sneaton

sneaton Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

it sounds like your loving the fish to death......just slow down and do one thing at a time.....i know its hard,im OCD and the hardest thing for me in this hobby is to let things be....im always looking for a quick fix too,but it always makes things worse...and def dont get a purple tang,their too big and aggressive

12. dirtysven

dirtysven Astrea Snail

got it. I did a 5g wc in the qt today and increased the salinity a bit since it was at .016, will keep raining it with every wc until it reach .024-.025. I also measure the copper and it is in between of .2-.3, its hard to read the little chart from red sea. Will probably buy the API copper test kit just in case. The fish are eating fine and moving around as normal, the tang still scratches himself to the bottom of the qt from time to time.
    Other than that everything looks good.