Fsih dying, help please (emergency)

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by dirtysven, May 7, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

i would go ahead and get the biggest tank possible for the QT tank, as you have some big fish. Again, make sure you test the copper levels because it can be toxic very fast.

I would not switch treatments at this point. You have already started dosing copper and switching to another product will just stress the fish out even more.

Also i can not stress enough the need to have as much flow in the tank as possible. The 02 demand rises with treatment

I would turn off all the lights right now and keep the tank as dark as possible while in the QT

2. Click Here!

3. dirtysven

dirtysven Astrea Snail

you mean to keep the main DT dark or the QT tank dark? it sucks man, I cannot get a huge tank because I dont have the room for it, so I guess a 20g will have to do.

Also, how do I keep up with the copper dosing? I dosed it today, when should I dose again? or how low should I let it get before I dose? sorry for all the questions but this is my first time setting up a QT.

4. dirtysven

dirtysven Astrea Snail

Forgot to mention, I have a gody as well, will he be okay in the qt without substrate for him to burrow in?

The main tank still have 2 anemone in it and a bunch of hermits and snails. Should I continue with feeding in the DT?

5. dirtysven

dirtysven Astrea Snail

so today I bought a 20g tank for the QT, all the fish are transferred and in hyposalinity. Everything seems good so far.

6. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

DO NOT DO HYPOSALINITY AND COPPER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    You are doing to many variables!

1 person likes this.
  7. dirtysven

dirtysven Astrea Snail

so back to regular salinity then...... I think it is a .020, is that considered hyposalinity????

8. Click Here!

9. vawdka

vawdka Coral Banded Shrimp

Best of luck to you... I lost all of my fish to Velvet... It's pretty serious. I tried to keep my parameters perfect and keep them fed well but they stopped eating and died shortly(literally next day)after... I felt so helpless, I'm sorry for you and your fish.

10. vawdka

vawdka Coral Banded Shrimp

Forgot to mention they made it about a week to week and a half from initial symptoms.

11. dirtysven

dirtysven Astrea Snail

sorry to hear that, thx at the same time. My fish are eating as usual, spots are gone from the tang or at least cant see any on him. I was just observing them and their breathing is normal as far as I can tell which is a good sign.
    What kinda fish you lose if you mind me asking?

12. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

dude, you need to do more research prior to doing ANY treatment with your fish. You are getting all this advice and then you are going off half cocked and doing this and that. There is nothing fast in the hobby. If one treatment is good then two treatments do not make it better

HYPOSALINITY MAKES COPPER LETHEL!

Luckily you are confused on hyposalinity.......hyposalinity is usually about 1.013 or lower. HOWEVER that does not make it acceptable to just drop the salinity in your water. What was your SG level at prior and how fast did you drop it?

Think about everything you have done to these fish so far. You raised the temp of the water rapidly. You did massive water chagnes and siphoned out sand (was the params of the water changes including ph and temp same with your dt and was the water aerated?). You ripped the fish out of your DT and placed them in 10g tank adn then dumped copper in the system (without knowing the proper dosage or side effects of the treatment) then you take them out of the tank and place them in a new system and THEN dose copper and drop salinity.

You might be lucky, but I will be surprised if you have anything that survives this! This is an expensive hobby, you will be more successful if you slow down and do a little more research on your own