Fsih dying, help please (emergency)

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by dirtysven, May 7, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. dirtysven

dirtysven Astrea Snail

Thanks a lot man, I appreciate your help

2. Click Here!

3. dirtysven

dirtysven Astrea Snail

Well, the anthills died today so I decided to risk it and try to save the rest of them, I too them out the DT without a lot of hassle and placed them is a 10g QT and treating with copper.

4. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

10g with the tang and your other fish. Good luck man but i truly think there is now no chance for survival! Make sure you oxygenate the tank very well and test the copper levels

Your main tank will need to be fish free for 6-8 weeks so that all the cysts and velvet dies out of your tank. Otherwise the next fish you put in there will get it

5. clarky2120

clarky2120 Bubble Tip Anemone

I figured I would share another option. Honestly I really like Dr. G's anti-parasite formula. The active ingredient is chloroquine phosphate, which if you read the link that schackmel posted, says this and copper are the only OTC methods for treating velvet. The best thing about Dr. G's formula is I've used it in my DT with no side effects to LPS, softies, and invertebrates. I just let all the fish eat it, whether they are showing symptoms or not.

I've beaten ich my fair share of times with this food. It says on the package it will work for marine velvet also, although velvet hasn't happend to my fish yet. I know velvet is a whole different battle, but for $15 bucks it's not a bad thing to keep in the freezer for times like these. I know from experience it doesn't hurt to try it.

1 person likes this.
  6. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

interesting, never heard of this product! How much do you use and how often?

7. dirtysven

dirtysven Astrea Snail

Thanks guys, I will go buy a 20 gallon tank tomorrow.

Does anyone else have use Dr. G's anti-parasite formula?

8. Click Here!

9. dirtysven

dirtysven Astrea Snail

I went to the lfs a while ago and they say that there is this one formula that is the best thing I can try for the DT to get rid of the fluke, let me see if I can find out the name because I forgot, lol

10. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

11. dirtysven

dirtysven Astrea Snail

is it good or bad, what you think?

12. clarky2120

clarky2120 Bubble Tip Anemone

I use the anti-parasite product as soon as I see symptoms. I continue as my primary food until symptoms have subsided.

I literally just got done with an outbreak of ich that was introduced by a new fish. Treatment started 4/19, treatment ended 5/5. Most fish eventually caught ich: yellow tang, regal tang, humahuma, two clowns, and the new naso tang. Through the entire process I had zero fatalities, and the only other treatment I had used was reduced lighting cycle.

I bought a package of it a long time ago. Literally as a "just in case" kind of thing. I have used it twice as treatment. The first time I used it along with a thing called "kick ich" but this past time I just used the food and it had the same effectiveness as the first time. So I have concluded it was the food I had used and not the "kick ich" product I had used along with it the first time.