Frustrated to breaking point!!!

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by Stingray, Mar 23, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

You've got really good advice here. Its up to you to listen and act. Good luck, hope it works out.

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

So you might give up on the hobby because of your frustration, but you'll not try a different brand of salt because you just bought a new container of salt, which you'll waste if you give up on the hobby?

You can still use the I/O and try a new salt, just alternate brands with every other water change.

1 person likes this.
  4. Stingray

Stingray Blue Ringed Angel

For salt at present i use instant ocean reef.

I took your advise and im raiseing the magnesium to 1400/1450 i mixed 180g of epsom salts in a bucket of ro water and made a diy drip device by hanging a plastic milk bottle 4 pints, on a hook above my sump, then filled it with the mixture, then i pierced the bottom of the bottle with a pin, 4 points takes 2 hours to empty into the sump fed by gravity, so its took me 6 hours to add,
    is this a efficient way to dose my alk and calcium too?

i tested mag before dosing with a jbl and salifert test kit, a friend at work and my local lfs it was all round the 1320 reading, when its reached 1400/1450 i will wait 12 hrs then start doseing alk/calcium alternating every 12 hours, and testing.

I am recieveing good advise and can appreciate it more then you know, i live in the uk and have been a member of 3reef for years and continue to do so for the very reason, good solid tried and tested experience from friendly and intelligent people and i appreciate it very much, Karma to all, thank you so far...

I thought about leaving the hobby due to intense frustration as most that have experienced it can imagine, i still have lots to learn, but i love the hobby so much that when it comes to the crunch i would not leave i would start over again, but hopefully it won't get that far, as i said i want to try and test myself give myself a target with the existing salt and see if i can achieve this, i know i can, but ultimately if i cannot then i will change brands

Will keep you updated.
    Again thank you all.

5. Servillius

Servillius Montipora Digitata

This is one of those things that seems overwhelming and frustrating until you get past it. The very next day it seems easy and obvious. I was there and I know the feeling. You'll be fine.

1 person likes this.
  6. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

Nice thread, good advice.

I agree with the advice, especially the one about 'not chasing the numbers', and about getting the Mg up some before worrying about the Ca, and Alk.

Also, is testing daily necessary? That might drive me nuts too.

Also- there is a HOlmes-Farley article- about NOT using only Epson Salts- Mgso4 to dose mag solely. YOu will need some MgCl also.

And btw- I use Kent Salt, and drip a simple gallon of Ro/DI w/ 60ml vinegar and 30ml Kalwasser daily.
    Things stay well with that, with a fairly hefty bio/coral/sps load.

Todd

Last edited: Mar 26, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  7. Billme

Billme Eyelash Blennie

Hang in there stingray. You'll get it.

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. Stingray

Stingray Blue Ringed Angel

Quick update,

Epsom salt raised my mag to 1400ppm

12hrs later drip dosed bucket of sodium bircarbonate 5tsps, only needed a 3rd of the bucket dripped in 6 hours to raise alk from 5 to 8dkh, 24 hrs later all corals and fish look ok

Another 12 hours later drip dosed 1 bucket of calcium chloride flakes 8tsps in bucket of water over 6 hours

Stats of the big 3 right now

Magnesium-1400ppm
    Alk-8 (as actually stayed at 8 for 24hrs, i am shocked :eek:)
    Calcium-400ppm

looking much better, from this i will take readings and work out exactly how much i need to dose to keep the stable.

These products and 12hr waiting between each dose as been key for me, thanks again all
    i can now look forward to the hobby once again(fingers crossed)

Stingray.

10. Servillius

Servillius Montipora Digitata

Keeping the mag up is the critical step. Just a warning, your tank will be consuming very little right now. It's clams and fast growing SPS that eat the stuff up.

11. Swisswiss

Swisswiss Caribbean Reef Squid

i don't understand how your having these issues though, unless you have a colossal amount of corals, then that could be whats putting a dent on your "numbers". otherwise i would agree corailline, quality salt (I use red seas CP personally) and weekly changes should cover any and all issues.... :S.

anyway glad to read you have it stable now

12. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

I will say when I set up my tank I used bad salt. It took a lot before I could get things stable. But My mag was really really low. It probably cost me more in additives than a new bucket of salt.
    If you still have the salt check the big 3 after mixing.

The salt I had was 6 years old and I just figured salt was salt.. how can salt go bad?
    Wrong. hehe

Also I didn't have hardly any corals and same thing. The levels would not stay up. Eventually it stayed up but took a long time.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2014