Frozen uncooked shrimp as food ????

Discussion in 'Fish Food' started by sssnake, Nov 19, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. JustPhish

JustPhish Peppermint Shrimp

Come on brother, don't turn this into something it isn't. No one was being sarcastic. If I was I wouldn't have bothered with LOL.

I told you your statement was silly because it was. Just because someone bought something at an LFS does NOT automatically guarantee it's "safe". That's the issue I took up with you, nothing more. The rest was my own experience.

Why don't you post the chemicals these shrimp are treated with? I'll take it a step further and call the vendor listed on the bag come Monday and ask them myself what chemicals the shrimp are treated with before being shipped. Why would polyphosphates, that apparently can be be rinsed off as suggested by experts kill a fish?

At the risk of "confusing" me further, could you explain what exactly lead you to the conclusion that chemicals on raw frozen shrimp purchased at a grocery store were the cause of your 3 fish deaths? Did the fish suddenly grasp their throats with their fins and begin choking motions? ;) LOL. This is the first I have ever heard of anyone contributing a fish death to feeding raw shrimp. I think a poll would be a great idea. I'd like to see how many others have had the same experience.

Like I said, I have fed without doubt more than a quarter ton of raw shrimp to thousands of fish over the years without causing the death of a single one. I feed raw chopped shrimp at every single feeding even to this day. I think you're stretching pretty far if you're going to insist that I haven't had a death yet simply because of luck. No one's luck can pull through those odds. Your own post said that most shrimp are probably safe! So when I say I never had any problems what in the world are you in a huff about?

Maybe the shrimp did cause your fish deaths. Who knows? I couldn't care less because through my experiences it's definitely the exception and not the rule. Like I said before, my issue was with your statement that just because something was purchased from an LFS it guarantees it's safe. That's a very broad statement and absurd. There was no sarcasm then, there isn't now. I'd appreciate if you didn't try and spin things in a way they weren't intended.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2006
  2. Click Here!

3. OoNickoC

OoNickoC Bubble Tip Anemone

Well, Im not a meat chemical processings regulatory commanding chief of chemical seafoods additive officer....but i do have years in commercial setting with marine fish. Ive always used deli seafood for the tanks ive been in charge of. If anthing the food you could purchase at a LFS (i work @ one so im not bashing LFS's) would worry me more. They sit FAR longer than human foods, and are processed differently (from catch to store). I dont really care what they are treated with, its never hurt some of the nicer SW sections in my area.
    SSSnake, I agree with the foremost and love to save money by going to the deli.

4. sssnake

sssnake Montipora Digitata

For what it's worth, Canada requires all food packaging to list the ingredients of the product. I'm not sure if this applies to the States as well. So, as per the packaging, ingredients are:

- Shrimp
    - Salt

Under nutritional facts (per 100g), we find listed:

Calories 90
    Fat 1.5g
    Saturated 0.3g
    Cholesteral 125mg 42%
    Sodium 120mg 5%
    Carbohydrate 1g 0%
    Protein 17g

Vitamin A 4%
    Vitamin C 2%
    Calcium 4%
    Iron 15%

If any preservatives were present would they not have to be listed as well?

Just a thought mind you ....but isn't salt itself one of the oldest preservatives. Oil as well?

Last edited: Nov 24, 2006
  5. JustPhish

Finally home! Anyway, looked at the ingredients on my packaging. Shrimp, salt.

6. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

I find most things with in the hobby are so simple to achieve.. Until the smart people try to over complicate it.. It seems now day unless is is written then read in a book By an aquarium expert then it just can't be nor will it be a good thing. But people sometimes just have to use common sense that can't be brought with time and money . Again i have fed shrimp for the better part of 35 to 40 yr's from frozen and fresh caught and its the fresh caught I was more worried about with chemicals In them :)

I have chopped up more mussel and scallops and shrimp and about any raw meat from chicken to beef harts to feed adult what ever fish to get them into breeding condition then to the Fry from Discus and Angels to Fry Clowns and different types of marines I have messed with spawning . And I'll keep on doing it and all others do what they want Its your money that you are being separated from not mine :)

Hell I even fed them to my spawn of 3 and it never hurt or killed one of them either LOL

7. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

JustPhish I could have told you that I have several bags now and all say the same thing' but who would have believed it ? Like I said when they are removed from the Boat or if pond raised then they are washed with saltwater high pressure hoses to remove dirt and grass and then get de-vined and flash frozen.. thats it .. some are peeled at their final destination :) But yep thats pretty much it shrimp a bag and some salt. Huuum ...As they say You can lead the horse to water :)

8. Click Here!

9. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

As I stated previously, I don't have a problem with using seafood. In fact, I use tons of varying seafoods in my blender mush.

I wanted to point out that none of the bags of frozen seafood will ever say polyphosphate salt. That is listed strictly as salt and it's not Sodium chloride.....it's Sodium polyphosphates.

10. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

lOL I understood what you where saying I think this was more about removing any fear of a total death cloud falling over the tank from a feeding of frozen shrimp or seafood mush that you described, I also make and feed this and I think that Phosphate my well be added through the saltwater spray off they do.. At the processing plant ? But if most would test their store brought aquarium frozen meat food they will or would be amazed as to how much Nitrate and Phosphates are in them.. I'll not use brine shrimp until Its rinsed with R/O water. That stuff is loaded with it.. But I and I'm sure all totally understood what you where saying. Thats totally correct and appreciated . Its Park Av. Advertising that seems to have all believing in the hype these days that if its from a some aquarium place it has to be better .. Thats why it cost 1000% more then raw shrimp .

11. JustPhish

Yeah I don't see the reason for deaths either. It's pretty common knowledge that most aquarium related frozen foods are loaded with phosphates and they don't kill fish. So I don't see what the difference is.

12. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

Yeah, you're probably correct. However, I wanted to clarify it for a newbie who might pull up this thread on a search.

It's absolutely amazing isn't it? When I first started, I used to thaw my Hikari Frozen food and then dump the entire contents of the thawing container INTO A 9 GALLON NANO. Can you say algae problems??? LOL I learned quickly to pour off any water from the cube before feeding and to feed less.