Frozen uncooked shrimp as food ????

Discussion in 'Fish Food' started by sssnake, Nov 19, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Snafu

Snafu Astrea Snail

The lfs is the one that gave me the idea. thats all he feeds his.
    but he did say to wash it.
    He also said thats it better then what they sell because its for people to eat
    Thats all I got, Just an Idea. It works for me

2. Click Here!

3. serotonin

serotonin Purple Spiny Lobster

Do you think it's possible for ICH to hike in on the raw-uncooked shrimp?

4. Ph4Y5e

Ph4Y5e Astrea Snail

I used to go to the local seafood market and buy fresh marinara mix...which had squid/mussels/clams/fish and other bits... never packaged so no preservatives......and 1kg of that stuff costs less than a packet of Brine shrimp...at least that way the fish get a bit of variety...

how about dried scallops and shrimp... u know the chinese variety? ..they are naturally sun dried...u reckon theyd be safe?

5. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

I'd say you have less of a chance of having ich introduced into your system from raw uncooked shrimp then it not already being present in there now.. Ich seems to be present all the time in a aquarium and until it find s a stressed host to attach its self to then it just lays dormant until the host comes along .. Like a cold to us almost. Fish get stressed maybe chilled form shipping ? and their immune system is lowered and the can not produce their normal slime coat and then ich pops up..

6. JustPhish

JustPhish Peppermint Shrimp

LOL, that's a pretty silly statement. I won't get much into it, but just because you bought something at an LFS doesn't mean squat.

As soon as I finally get out of work (stuck working a 72 hour shift with 24 of those hours on thanksgiving) I'll check my frozen bag of shrimp at home. I really don't expect to see much more than shrimp listed as the ingredients.

I can say with confidence however that over the years I have cut up and fed more than a quarter ton of raw shrimp easily and have never suffered any ill effects from doing so.

7. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

I have some friend's/family in Gulf Port Ms. and they shrimp for a living and I have been out with them and they would haul in the Prawns and put them in a holding tanks then off to be deveined and processed and all I ever saw them do at the processing plant was to hose them all off with saltwater then into the be flash frozen .
    All I can say is I have fed raw frozen shrimp for many many years from ell's to elegance corals with no rinsing , worries or problems . Like In wall said they may be treated with a phosphate to prevent freezer burn but if so its never caused me or my tanks any issues . Some of use older farts had to feed what we could before all the new stuff from the aquarium trade dealers came about. Like they are not making plenty of money selling the same stuff for more then it cost us to buy and eat as Human food .. I'll keep feedimng them to my corals and fish..

8. Click Here!

9. bouraganes

bouraganes Peppermint Shrimp

Well As I said not trying to rain on anyones parade and I certainly apreciate your sarcasm JustPhish - I hope this doesn't confuse you but after 33 years in the retail food industry mostly as an meat/deli/seafood manager I am required by the federal goverment to keep test results on many seafood items which document the CHEMICALS they ARE TREATED with- I am sure these federal regulations are in place for a reason- and I am glad you have been fortunate this far(or lucky) as the 3 fish that died in my tank from frozen shrimp were not- anyway like I said just offering a little inside info and not looking to argue with anyone so I will opt out of any further posting on this thread -
    PS: Happy thanksgiving to all of the 3Reefers!

10. Snafu

Snafu Astrea Snail

Hey sorry did mean to start trouble

11. Snafu

Snafu Astrea Snail

But I also feed my fish and everything nightcrawers from the bait shop.
    cut them up then rinse them
    they love them
    but thats just what I do.

12. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

No prob Snafu!!!

I think that we should all remember that there is more than one way to skin a cat and what works for you, with your particular bioload, your particular animals, your particular filtration system, your particular lighting, yada, yada, yada won't necessarily work the same way in someones tank with differing parameters.

Let's all regroup, be thankful that a nice resource like 3Reef exists, and remember that we can all have different methods but accept other peoples methods. I personally like threads where people disagree because you quickly winnow out better solutions for all involved. Let's all remember that we are all in this together to provide the best habitat for our animals. Let's also remember that if someone disagrees with you, it's not an attack on you personally. 3Reef isn't another board that I shall not name.

The words "always", "Never", etc. should be avoided unless you have scientific facts to back them up.

Everyone, have a GREAT THANKSGIVING!!!