Frogspawn.

Discussion in 'Coral Health' started by Stingray, Sep 18, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. phoenixhieghts

phoenixhieghts Panda Puffer

Well like most corals the heads of euphylia can split to make another branch/head, this is how it grows.
    Dropping heads in when its making a lst attempt of survival. By dropping the head, the euphylia can travel to a new destination to live and grow, hopefully one better then the current one.

But.....Im not sure if thats whats happening here, i've not seen anything like that, mine didnt go like that when the heads split, so who knows...... maybe geekdafied would know.

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. Stingray

Stingray Blue Ringed Angel

Hmmm thanks anyway phoenix, calling all guru's i'm getting concerned for my frogspawn and need some info, can't find anything on the net :-(

4. Stingray

5. BluePhish

BluePhish Teardrop Maxima Clam

i had a green tip frogspawn, and as it has grown it changed from all green tips to a 50/ 50 mix of green and pink tips.,

also ive noticed during heavy spliting(not droping heads) it tends to look kinda shoty , sometimes as the skeleton grows and splits there are tentacles and flesh in the way. so it will drop off some tentacles.

just another guess it could be the tips are swollen with stinging cells , has it had to sting anything lately?

overall it looks healthy to me. i would not worry.

1 person likes this.
  6. Stingray

Not that i can think of,but will keep a eye on it, see how it goes, and update if anything changes, but thanks guys...

7. Stingray

Hmmm its been drawn to my attention that the whiteness could be from bleaching due to putting the frogspawn under t5's it was under halides at the lfs?

8. Click Here!

9. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

Looks like its bleaching. Your signature says you have 8x39w on a 55g. If thats T5HO, thats WAY too much light for that tank. Thats 312watts, about 150watts+ too much for a 55g.

10. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

Put it on the bottom until it regains its color, then move it up about 4"s every month or so until you get it where you want, if it starts to lose color again, then its too close to the lights.Corals will adjust to lighting conditions, but not always.

11. Stingray

there is 8 bulbs in there but i only use 6 4x39 watt arcadia marine whites 156watt
    2x 39watt actinics 78watt 234watt total, is this too much or should i just put 2 whites on instead of moving it?

12. Phayes

Phayes Aiptasia Anemone

Mine bleached when I took it home from the LFS (which was under halides).. i put it under 2 x 65w PC's in a 75 (lol!). It obviously wasn't enough light. Bleached right out to completely transparent white/clear, where only the tips remained the green color. Now finally a few months later, in my 90 with proper T5 lighting (6x54), its almost back to the color it was. Was still surprised to see the color bounce back like that... I thought it was going to be perma-bleached forever. Obviously a very resilient coral.