Frogspawn releasing tips... Any advice??

Discussion in 'Coral Health' started by Fishinfool, Mar 22, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. missionsix

missionsix Super Moderator Staff Member

It's commonly referred to as "polyp bailout". It's a survival instinct that corals will expel portions of their polyps in hopes of finding a more suitable location. It's often caused by bad water and stress or drastic changes in things. The likelihood of it re-growing is minimal and don't freak out, I've seen euphyllia of different sorts floating around my tank before. My last reef was kept pretty tight.

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. mikev15101

mikev15101 Purple Spiny Lobster

Mine does it all the time, i think it is just reproducing, cause mine branches new full heads all the time so it is happy with the water and placement, but it just shoots off heads in hopes of growing else where like in wild, only thing is it lands in my acans all the time and stings the **** out of them, so watch out for other corals.

4. Fishinfool

Fishinfool Plankton

The head is still intact though. It is just some of the tips, not even a full tenticle. The pieces are very small. It looks like it it is only on one of the polyp heads. It shares a branch with another that is not dropping tenticles.

5. missionsix

missionsix Super Moderator Staff Member

polyp bailout - Google Search

6. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

I wonder if my trumpet corals might be from that. I had been using a lot of phyto to feed my sea apple and my nitrates had crept up, plus my skimmer broke! We are doing massive water changes...however my ammonia and nitrite has always been zero, my kH 10-13, my pH 8.2, calcium 440..my nitrates are high but not horrible

However I still think it is the gigantic crab in my tank

7. Fishinfool

Fishinfool Plankton

Well I expect that the worst is happening. I woke up this morning and my frogspawn is showing skeleton on six out if nine heads. Should I pull it out of the tank? It looked great last night and now this:(.
    Ph 8.3
    kh 180
    nitrite 0
    nitrate 0
    calcium 420
    salinity 1.040

8. Click Here!

9. Fishinfool

Fishinfool Plankton

Oops sorry salinity is 1.024

10. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

i would leave it and see what happens

11. Fishinfool

Fishinfool Plankton

Well I have nine heads now that are nothing but brown gooey slime. I am yanking it. The only thing that I have done differently in the last couple of days is I got a piece of beautiful coralline covered Fiji rock to seed my tank with and I scraped some of the thicker corraline into the water column. Could some of the coralline dust have maybe melted the heads? There were no visible chunks on the frogspawn but what I scraped off was pretty fine.

12. pgoodsell

pgoodsell Horrid Stonefish

Maybe its a coral disease RTN or brown jelly disease.