frogspawn question

Discussion in 'LPS Corals' started by billy31422, Oct 21, 2005.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Jay

Jay Teardrop Maxima Clam

I have 2 frog spawns in my tank. The first one I got only had 1 head to start with and now has 3. The other had 3 heads and now has 7 but in a few weeks they will be 10 when the ones finish their splitting. What I have noticed is that the first one I got is a really electric green/purple specimine and it is pretty slow to split but the heads are as big as silver dollars and it takes longer for them to grow togather in the middle when they split. The other one is more light green with big pink spots. This guy has heads like 50 cent pieces and it is growing fast. This one also grows new stalks under the heads. I havent cut and of these off yet but will be soon. They have tenticles that are 1/4 inch long and there is probably 8 or 10 of these baby stocks. I used to not pay too much attention to my clacium and alk that much when I got started in the hobby a little over a year ago. All I did was dose Kalkwasser and stare lovingly at my LPS and soft corals. I started paying close attention to the Alk and Calcium and dosing it regularly to keep the levels up ( the alk was hard to keep high ). Kalkwasser alone wont maintain it in my tank, I have to dose additional. When I hot those finickey SPS corals. Im still not sure I like keeping them. With some of them bleaching and the halides heat problems this summer Im about ready to off that tank completely...it is frustrating but I want to start keeping clams soon so I will keep it going. Anyway, I have been keeping all the coral building elements up to correct levels and my torches and frogspawns and even my poor little half inch hammer frag has really showed good growth. This has helped mine considerably. As far as feeding the frogspawns I feed mine but I am very sure to get the food right on top of the mouth not just in the tenticles. If you put it right there I bet you 10 bucks he will open up and eat it. I taks small clam pieces or scallop or shrimp and slice off just a sliver of meat. Half the size of your smallest fingernail. Jason has it down with his pipett and always make sure the fish are finished eating first. I have a big PIG Domino damsel that is just a pig. He will eat frozen mysis till the cows come home. I feed him with a baster till he is done then feed the corals.

Sorry to go on and on but I can get on a roll sometimes

Jay

2. Click Here!

3. billy31422

billy31422 Feather Duster

thanks a lot jay. lots of good info. i am allready using a calcium drip. but i guess i need to look into alk. i havent done anything with that

4. billy31422

what does everybody use for alk and calcium now?

5. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

6. billy31422

ok thanks. i didn't know it was there

7. billy31422

ok i was going to take jason's advice, but it seems mysis is kinda hard to find in my area. can it be ordered? is it a frozen food or this freeze dried stuff i found on the net?

8. Click Here!

9. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

Personally, I prefer the frozen, but if you cannot get it, freeze dried may have to do... ;)

10. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

The Frozen stuff is the way to go. 99% of my fishes diet is also Frozen Mysis.
    If you have a LFS near your house try and get them to bring it in.
    More customers than you will love it

J