Frogspawn placement question

Discussion in 'LPS Corals' started by Mulch, Mar 28, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Mulch

Mulch Astrea Snail

I've had this guy for a while and he seems quite happy. The base has split (it's growing) and it's fully extended every day. I have the base stuck in a hole (in a piece of LR) about half way from top to bottom in the tank.

My question is: Am I restricting growth by having the base stuck in a little hole? Should it be out in the open? Should I put the whole piece on the sand or on top of a rock?

Thanks
    Chris

2. Click Here!

3. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

No it will grow onto the rock at somepoint.. It is fine like that..

4. Mulch

Mulch Astrea Snail

Thanks Tangster!

5. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

Is a very forgiving coral.

Will do well in just about any light conditions and wide variety of current flow (does need some).

Is way I spread mine around. Just break off heads and stick them in different holes around tank.

Good Luck.
    8)

6. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

Frogspawn coral(Euphyllia divisa) is a species of large polyped stony coral that is hermatypic in nature meaning it requires calcium and strontium to precipitate and form its calcareous skeleton.
    Frogspawn coral does not require intense light and water flow, as omard stated, for its success in a captive environment.
    The questions you need to address are:
    Is the head(tissue and polyps/tentacles) receiving enough light...not the white skeleton but the tissue itself!
    Is the coral receiving enough water flow to remove waste and ensure oxygen transport as well as food to it, and decrease chances of algae and detritus accumulation?
    What types of corals do you have situated next to the Frogspawn? Frogspawn is a potent and toxic coral that will injure or kill most neighboring corals!
    With your addressing of these key questions, you and your corals should be very happy with the outcome.

7. Mulch

Mulch Astrea Snail

Thanks again. As I said it is doing well & branching, so I hope to spread some around as well. It is a beautiful coral, one of my favorites.... So far.

8. Click Here!

9. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

Ditto

10. sssnake

sssnake Montipora Digitata

It's a stinging coral so keep an eye out for any coral too close to it.

One of my favorites as well. Good choice!