Frogspawn Issue

Discussion in 'LPS Corals' started by rsjakp, Apr 10, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. rsjakp

rsjakp Bristle Worm

well I checked last night and it looked a little better and a little more full. The other head still looks good. I did notice on the rock below was a polyp that had bailed out. I did not find anymore. I adjusted the flow and you were not kidding that is a trick trying to get the right flow! :)

Do you think if I just wait it out it will continue to get better? I am readying a water change as well. Is polyp bail out caused by stress? because I wonder if maybe something else irratated it?

2. Click Here!

3. IvIountainman

IvIountainman Spaghetti Worm

Closely watch for hydroids, worms, crabs, hermits etc anything that may be stinging, biting, clawing etc at the lower head.

But its quite possible its the flow that is annoying it. Is the flow stronger and more direct to the lower head?

4. HollyG

HollyG Teardrop Maxima Clam

Well that is good to hear! Yea, if that was the case give it another 2 days at least to perk up. Definatelt do that water change aswell. Whenever ANYTHING is wrong with any of my corals the first thing I do is a water change then go from there. But since I've had this happen to me I went directly to a flow issue, but do the water change anyways just in case. I agree at keeping an eye out for pests aswell. That could be another reason why one head is being affected and not the other.
    The head will get happier and happier with each day with that kind of flow, just give it a couple days to kick in. Yes polyp bail out is from a stressed/upset/ill coral. Sometimes you will see little individual polyps/tenticles bail first and then after another certain amount of time the whol head will pop right out of the skeleton and float off and settle somewhere in a low flow. most of the time those heads will die off but on occassion one will regrow a new skeleton. A happy healthy spawn will open wide with lots of polyps/tenticles that look "full". It seems like you caught it in time and the coral will recover.
    Yea, finding the right turbulant flow is a trick lol How long were you tweeking for until you finally got it? lol

5. rsjakp

rsjakp Bristle Worm

pretty much all night adjusting then sit and look,,,,adjust sit and look,,,,adjust sit and look,,,,LOL I got it where the tentacles move a little back and forth. I think the lower head will be alright it only dropped the one polyp. and where it was shrunk on one side especially the polyps look as though they will be alright. They are shorter than the rest of the head but full none the less. I almost wonder if a critter pinched it or messed with it to stress it out? Could be

6. HollyG

HollyG Teardrop Maxima Clam

Yea lol that's how I do the adjusting too lol My husband looks at me like I'm mental every time lol Sounds like you got a good flow goin though. Its possible something had pinched it too.