frogspawn frag question

Discussion in 'Coral' started by cuteNfishy88, Mar 21, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. cuteNfishy88

cuteNfishy88 Astrea Snail

Hi all! New here i have a question i just got a frogspan frag last weeek and it has already split is this good?:confused: when and how should i frag it i have absolutely no experience with this coral.i will post pics as soon as my light comes on

2. Click Here!

3. tattoolew

tattoolew Sea Dragon

It is totally normal for your coral to split, it will do so many many times. There are several videos of how to frag on you tube, check out several just to make sure you get a few ways of doing it. Wait until it has grown to as nearly as big as you want it to be and cut off the new heads by sawing the skeletal piece that attaches it to the rest of the mother colony.

4. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Why would you frag a frag of a frogspawn? By "split" do you mean that a new polyp is growing on the coral? I would just let it grow.

5. cuteNfishy88

yes that is what i mean and why not it is what i want to do?! asking for info not a come back [​IMG][/url][/IMG]

6. cuteNfishy88

:furious2:it was one stalk last week now has "split" could i frag this is my question

7. bulldogniner

bulldogniner Feather Duster

I would probably give it more time. It is hard to tell from the pic but the soft tissue is probably too close the the split.

8. Click Here!

9. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

I'm allowed to ask questions as much as you are and there was a reason I asked what I did. You need to check your tone.

10. cuteNfishy88

so what is the reason for asking? i am asking for info so i'm all ears

11. cuteNfishy88

it looks like a perfect y shape up close and at night it completely branches apart but thanks for the info i wasnt sure i just noticed it last night

12. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Because if you've never fragged an LPS coral before and you try to frag a coral that small, it's very likely that neither the parent coral or the frag will survive. I asked why you wanted to frag it to help you to determine whether or not it was worth the risk.