Frogpawn Help

Discussion in 'LPS Corals' started by Erglor07, Jul 31, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Erglor07

Erglor07 Plankton

I recently got back from a two week vacation. I had someone stop by every couple of days to feed my fish and hand feed the frogspawn. I'm not sure if he didn't feed it correctly or what, but every since I have been back, the frogspawn has slowly deteriorated (doesn't have tentacles anymore) and now it looks like this.

[​IMG]

The purple areas grow and shrink very little. I try to feed it now, but it doesn't have anything to grab onto the food. Is there any other way to feed it so it gets nutrients in its mouth? I had been feeding it frozen shrimp. Tank is at 80 degrees, Salinity is 1.022, KH is 180, pH is 8.0, Nitrate/Nitrite is 0.

I've only had it since last December. It started out with two heads and each head split in two. Please let me know if there is anything I can do to try and save it. Thank you.

2. Click Here!

3. Billme

Billme Eyelash Blennie

Hey erg, looks like it's a great specimine. I have no way of knowing how it was fed, but my experience is that it's easier to overfeed than to underfeed. I've had a fair number of corals shrivel up and I think I may have been feeding too much ( like every day). Just a guess. How are the water perameters?

Last edited: Aug 1, 2014
    Mr. Bill likes this.
  4. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

+1 to ^^^

Also, an SG of 1.022 is too low for corals, and the actual level may be lower still if you're measuring with a cheap swing-arm hydrometer. Natural reefs run 1.025 - 1.026; while it may be ok to run a bit lower for a fish-only tank, I disagree with the idea that it's beneficial for anything that comes from the ocean.

Billme and DSC reef like this.
  5. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

I would stop trying to feed it and move it to a low flow area to try and eliminate stress. The receding of the coral doesn't look good. The salinity is way too low IMO and makes me wonder what your calcium and magnesium reads. Only thing you can really do now is just try to not stress it out and hope for the best.

Billme and Mr. Bill like this.
  6. sailorguy

sailorguy Torch Coral

If you were gone for two weeks and someone was feeding the tank I would start by checking water parameters and start preparing for a water change.If your lighting is not on a timer that too could have been a problem while you were gone.My frogspawn does very well with little or no feeding.

Billme likes this.