Frog Spawn

Discussion in 'Coral Health' started by oceansurf, Dec 20, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. oceansurf

oceansurf Purple Spiny Lobster

Due to my own neglect, my frog spawn coral is doing poorly. It use to be so beautifful. It was not till the other day that I noticed there was little air flow. The filter was clogged. I don't know how long it had been that way. Everything else in the tank is quite healthy. I guess the frog spawn was more sensitive than the others.

It is not completely dead. Is there a way I can bring it back to its former glory ?

2. Click Here!

3. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

well a picture would greatly help us help you... what does it look like right now?

4. oceansurf

This is my 2nd question about my frog spawn. It is my favorite kind of coral. Mine has very little life in it.

What can I do?

If you don't mind, respond with a private message please.

Thanks.

5. NU-2reef

NU-2reef Montipora Digitata

saltyfresh its really hard to give you advise when you give very little info on your tank. you need to give tank specs and water params to get good help. otherwise we are all simply guessing.

and what is with the PM's. dude this is a forum. posting is what we do here. and to add to this. everytime you ask for private messages only your thread falls into the UNANSWERED POSTS category. Matt (kingfish) works really hard on this site. lets help him out.

2 people like this.
  6. Gexx

Gexx Giant Squid

try and feed it mysis or brine shrimp. just put it into the tentacles. give it more light. what are you water params.

7. oceansurf

I do have a weekly feeding of brine shrimp. The sea aneome loves it ! It is not him I am worried about. It is my coral. I only have 2. ( a frogspawn & button ) My tank is a 10 gallon nano. Don't ask for a pic as I don't have the technology. My button coral is decreasing in size & the frogspawn ( my favourite ) looks dead.

I've heard so many suggestions.
    weekly water changes will help ( they don't )
    don't make water changes ( I've ever tried that )
    separate the frogspawn & put it on the bottom in shady places. ( I began yesterday so too early to see results )
    There are as many answers as there are people &, yes, my water tests fine.

Any suggestions I have't heard ? I'm sorry. I guess I'm just discouraged to see something so beautiful to turn into what it is now.

8. Click Here!

9. oceansurf

You are right about the "private" thing" I am sorry Matt. You do work hard I I was defeating the purpose. I stand corrected. I have deleted that from my portfolio.

Here are the perameters of my tank.
    I tested the water this morning. Everything was good. My salt was on the high side of normal so I took out a cup from the tank & added a cup of fresh water. I'll keep my eye on it.
    The blue light is a coral star YDW 18W
    The bright light is 7100K 18W
    The temperature is 72F. I turned that up. I think that is a bit low.
    I have an aquaclear 10 flow/filtration system. I change the filter weekly. I do weekly water changes.
    I turn on my blue lights from 7am to 10am. My bright lights from 10am to 7pm. My blue lights from 7pm to 8pm.
    I have been considering adding one drop of marinvit & one drop of calcium weekly. I haven't started that yet.
    I hope this is enough info for you to make some suggestions.

10. mattheuw1

mattheuw1 Montipora Capricornis

frogspawn is primarily photosynthetic. It will get some nutrients by feedings and will eat a little and should be fed on occasion (bi weekly) to maintain decent health if the light is inadequate. Your only running 18w worth of light during the day which is very low. I would run both blue and white bulbs all day with the blue coming on before and going off after the white. Something like this....
    Blue 10-9pm
    White 11-7
    That is problem one. What type of lights are these? Never heard of the brand, blue star. They also are a very weird kelvin, 7100k. Most common kelvin for reef tanks is 10,000kelvin. Your blue light should be 420-460nm. What is the brand of your fixture? Problem 2 is your temp. 72 may not sound too cold but it is VERY cold for tropical corals. Get your heater situation fixed. Use a meat thermometer to measure the temperature. You want it around 78 degrees and stable. Stable is key to success. Continue doing weekly water changes. In a small tank, the stuff in the salt gets used up quickly. I would recommend using a good salt and doing weekly-biweekly water changes to keep your levels good instead of adding chemicals. Its not needed and they cost money and the test kits for them cost money.

Your frogspawn is not going to come back overnight. Place in a low flow, medium light (mine like a lot of light, but just give it medium light to see how it responds) and then get your water straight (slowly so you don't stress anything) and keep it consistently stable. Stuff happens very fast in smaller setups like yours, things can turn disaster overnight.

What is your salinity at? Are you using a hydrometer? or refractomer. Get a refractometer so you can be exact with your water changes. Hydrometers are very innaccurate, especially when comparing water of two different temperatures.......

Keep asking questions!

11. oceansurf

Stoneage

Sorry, but I am still in the stoneage as far as technology goes. I am unable to send a picture. I can, however, send you many perameters of my tank, if they help.
    My water tests well. I just did it this morning. The salt was on the high side of normal so I took a cup of water out of the aquarium this morning & replaced it with fresh water. I'll keep checking it.
    My blue light is a coral star YDW 18-H 10
    My bright light is 7100K 18W
    This is a nano 10 gallon tank.
    The temperature is 72. I figure that is low. I turned it up & will keep my eye on it.
    I have an aquarclear 10 flow/filter system. I change the filter monthly.
    I do weekly water changes.
    I have the blue light on from 7am to 10am. All lights from 10am to 7pm & blue light from 7pm to 8pm.
    I am considering one drop of Marinvit & one drop of calcium weekly, but I haven't started that yet.
    That''s about all I can think of. Can you help me with my coral problem ?

12. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

what do you mean? You are using the internet and a computer obviously. If you have a cell phone, use its camera.

"my water tests well" is worthless information. We need specific measurements. We do not know that you know what "well" means.

"Salt on high side of normal". That is a huge problem right there. My SG never fluctuates. How does yours? That needs to be stable. Are you topping off with fresh water? Or saltwater? Are you measuring it with a dependable tool like a refractometer or an undependable tool like a hydrometer?

a cup of water will have 0 impact to your SG. I can not stress enough how important it is to keep your salinity stable.

I am going to guess that your lights are not meant for a reef but for reptiles or something else. A picture might help here (again), but I do not recognize those lights at all.

72 is very cold for a coral. Not only is this way too cold for a frogspawn, you give me the impression that you don't really keep your tanks temp stable. Equally important to a good temp (77-82) is it being stable. A temp that fluctuates can kill coral.

You should not consider random amounts of supplements. You should test and that should tell you exactly how much you need. if you are doing water changes weekly, you shouldn't need to supplement anything.

You don't mention your other live stock, do you have any thing else in the tank?

So I would suggest stabilizing your SG and figuring that out. Stabilize your temp and figure that out.

May need to replace the lights.

Need to give us actual test measurements.

TIP:
    I bought my 2 year old daughter a digital camera for christmas... it's pretty crappy, but it does the job. It was $9.99 at Wal-Mart and has giant bumpers on it so it's hard to break.