Urgent frog fish broken jaw?!

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by loneracer05, Apr 23, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Camkha1234

Camkha1234 Great Blue Whale

I wish the best of luck to you :)

2. Click Here!

3. loneracer05

loneracer05 Clown Trigger

Well we may be skipping the surgery:(....comming home today things are worse.his front jaw is gone just 2 stubbs of bone left on either side and the inner jawbone is broken aswell in the center.he's still jetting around though. I have some antibiotics to try and see how it responds

4. needmorecowbell

needmorecowbell Torch Coral

Well, good luck. That's all we can say right now.

I read this and was completely amazed at the amount of technology we have to fix these sort of things.. In fish! It blows my mind that they have surgical bone adhesives and skin healing Medicines just for this sort of thing. I always thought melafix was basically it.

5. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

i think it is time to consider putting the fish out of its misery. I know we dont like to think like this but honestly there is little to no hope for recovery and only pain in his future. He is probably darting around the tank because he hurts. The other thing I am thinking is he must have had some type of bone infection or something prior to the bone becoming exposed......and that he might not have broken his jaw on the rock.

If you want to put him out humanely........get a bag of saltwater and place him in there and then put the bag with him in the freezer. He will just go to sleep. From reading things, this is the most humane way to kull fish

sorry for you!

6. loneracer05

I am going to see if he eats today and that will decide his fate.he has always used his jets a good amount for a frogfish anyway.he likes to jet from between 2 rock to the next spot.

Schackmel to humanly kull a fish use clove oil.it can be found in pharmacies or grocery stores..freezing fish is not very human.their brain doesn't shut down until they die.using clove oil they go to sleep then they pass peacefully.

7. needmorecowbell

needmorecowbell Torch Coral

i have also heard of clove oil being the best.

8. Click Here!

9. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

well as with anything in this hobby, there are going to be different thoughts on how to do things. I have talked to some well known people with a lot of experience and publications in this hobby who has said that by freezing them in saltwater is humane.

Regardless though clove oil is another way that a lot of people do not know of/or who are unable to purchase this. It is a very effective and great way to accomplish the task We actually have a bottle of clove oil in our fish kit. It is a little harder to find, as none of our pharmacies carried it. We had to go to a vitamin store (GNC) and buy it.

good luck with whatever you decide

10. loneracer05

11. Rawdogz

Rawdogz Torch Coral

12. tom.n.day

tom.n.day Eyelash Blennie

wouldn;t chopping his head off be much quicker? Honestly freezing his gills and any type of oil seems less instant then this. I understand it can be tough to do something like this as I grew up in a farm and have put many animals down. Good luck with whatever you decide