Urgent frog fish broken jaw?!

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by loneracer05, Apr 23, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. loneracer05

loneracer05 Clown Trigger

And thank you for chiming in incognito

2. Click Here!

3. Renee@LionfishLair

Renee@LionfishLair 3reef Sponsor

No. That won't work, I'm afraid. There still won't be skin over the bone. You'll also have to place the Dermabond on the ends on the bone, which will basically prevent it from ever healing correctly. It would also never hold as it meant to adhere skin, not bone. It won't give you the structural stability you are looking for. THEN (I'm a big ball of good news this morning), you'd have to remove the fish from the water to do it. An angler would never tolerate that.

I just don't have anything good to say about the situation, I'm afraid. :-/

I just realized you said surgical BONE adhesive. I assumed you were talking about the easier to get Dermabond type products (still not over the counter), but there is also what we call bone cement. Your not talking about that, are you? That does indeed adhere bones, but you you'd never be able to apply it correctly.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2012
  4. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

Has he eaten since you noticed?

5. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

if he is not eating, I would suggest kulling the fish in order to prevent suffering. Sorry for you!

6. loneracer05

Yes I have access to surgical materials through my job.I can get bone cement aswell as skin bonding agents but I would think the skin could heal if I could get the bones set properly.I was told they do infact have a cement available that will work in water and cures using uv light,and is fast curing especially in such a small portion.not very cheap stuff but if you think this may give my guy a fighting chance I may give it a try.

7. Renee@LionfishLair

The skin won't grow over that, IMO. Much like humans, if it were to need anything, it would be a skin graft. Even then there has to be a blood supply to feed the flap and exposed bone won't give you that. There's just no tissue there to heal.

I don't think treatment is in the frogs best interest. :-(

8. Click Here!

9. loneracer05

Well I seemed to have caught the attention of one of the head surgeons here.she is going to look at the fish.she thinks it may be able to be repaired.there is still a flap of skin though id imagine it is dead skin by now. But going by my pics she says it may be fixable.I will most likely need to tube feed the poor guy for awhile wich I am ok with,I have done this with my friends puffer while it had lockjaw.id imagine it would be easier to do with a frogfish.I am looking into possible pain killers for it.

Her idea isn't to to cement it but to put a wire on it temporarily and remove it once it is healed.this is a surgery cats have.though its not a cat the principles are the same.

10. Rawdogz

Rawdogz Torch Coral

following....

lets us know what happens

11. Renee@LionfishLair

Frogfish, unlike puffers, have a tendency to swallow air when they are removed from the water. Be mindful of this. If you have to keep burping him, he'll die of sheer stress.

Get some vitamin C in his tank. Vitamin C is INCREDIBLE for boosting immune function. He doesn't have to be eating, as he will absorb this directly through the gills. Vitamin E also has a great synergistic effect, but you'll have to get that in him via frozen foods or tube feeding. If he starts to eat frozen, I have some great little Beta Glucan edibles that he may consume. Beta Glucan is crazy good for their immune system.

12. loneracer05

Will do.if it goes through im sure there will be pictures and possibly video.this would be the first fish operation we would have ever done.we are a specialty animal hospital and have done everything from mice to bears.so im pretty confident in the surgons