Urgent frog fish broken jaw?!

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by loneracer05, Apr 23, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. loneracer05

loneracer05 Clown Trigger

I have not fed him since,today is his next meal.

2. Click Here!

3. loneracer05

I peeked in on him between jobs today and he looks worse looks like there's another break on the jaw.I will try feeding ghost shrimp tonight when I get home.im going to speak with one of the surgeons at my job(animal hospital).maybe I can use some sort of bone glue on it or something?

4. Jmanyoma

Jmanyoma Astrea Snail

Honestly whats done is done you might stress out the fish by trying to help it. Aslong as he is eating i think hell be good to go.

5. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

To me, this looks like more of an infection than it does an injury. I'm no disease expert however.

6. ReefBruh

ReefBruh Giant Squid

Maybe Incognito can help. You should PM her and see what she says.

7. loneracer05

Ok will do.it may be an infected injury but there is a clear opening in the middle of his bottom jaw.he is fairly new so it may have happened before i got him.

Ge was trying to eat but he cudnt catch the ghost shrimp.i cudnt get him turned around so idk if its bc he was missing or bc he couldn't move his jaw properly

8. Click Here!

9. Rawdogz

Rawdogz Torch Coral

i would lay of the ghost and try feeding him frozen shrimps till you figure out whats up with his jaw, this way he can still eat.

10. loneracer05

Man I wish I could,he hasn't taken to frozen completely yet.I haven't had him that long.not even a month yet.I have another angler that's doing great(in a different tank/system).im going to pick up some mollies today they're allittle bigger and alot slower. I have been trying with frozen but he shows minimal intrest in it

11. Renee@LionfishLair

Renee@LionfishLair 3reef Sponsor

When illnesses or injuries affect the mouth parts, it really changes the prognosis. Where the bone is completely exposed, healing flesh has nothing to adhere to and that's a pretty big gap. It's something that may never heal correctly, but more importantly, something that may not heal quickly enough to prevent starvation.

He may not be able to eat. That injury may very well prevent the suction needed to pull the food into its mouth.

One thing that can happen is they can get "bag rub" during shipping. This produces a little sore on the bottom lip that can typically be healed well. But then there are the ones that get infected, and that's what your looks like.

:-(

12. loneracer05

Hmm so do you think it may be a good idea to attempt to glue his jaw back together using surgical bone adhesive?