Freshwater peeps help please!!

Discussion in 'General Freshwater Information' started by cosmo, Mar 11, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Anldyxp

Anldyxp Skunk Shrimp

I'd go with a nice rimless 10 gallon with plants, co2, some rocks or driftwood and a small school of Neon Tetras =]. I'd love to plant my freshwater tank but every time I try, the damn cichlids dig everything up.

2. Click Here!

3. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

Yeah, I start salivating when I start talking tanks, so I'm gonna back this sucker back a bit. Gonna look for a 5-10 gallon, do the beta, some tetras or similar, add the frogs and shrimp, and the loach and get some plants. Now I need to find a cheap little clip on UV light for it.

So theorized stock will be a:
    beta
    loach
    2 dwarf frogs
    shrimp,
    small school of tetras or simlar
    and........?

4. ZC42

ZC42 Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

Dwarf pleco - bristle/bushy nose only get to 4" I think but they destroy algae and also bottom feed I believe.

5. 1.0reef

1.0reef Giant Squid

My betta in my 2.5 gallon would kill ANYTHING! If you want a betta a species tank or a semi aggressive community tank is best;)

6. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

Thx for the reply, I've never had problems with betas in my freshwater tanks, but they've always been much, I am slightly concerned about that.

Here's my prob, the Betta is a must for my boy. He already has it picked out. At walmart. I know, I know, the thought of buying livestock at Walmart makes me want to throw up, but they have a crown tail beta there that the other LFS don't.

So what tank mates would you rec? TIA

7. BigJim

BigJim Spaghetti Worm

I would stay away from the loach because they do better in groups. They are great fish but you would need a bigger tank. They also carpet surf if you don’t have a lid. I lost a beautiful border loach a couple months ago because he decided to leap to his death.

I have had no luck with African Dwarf Frogs, but I always had active fish that bothered them. If the Betta doesn’t bother them, you might be okay. I would recommend the betta, tetras and shrimp and maybe the frogs if you have a plan B to re-house them. Java Fern and Anubias Nana are some plants that grow well under low light conditions.

I might have to dust off my old 10g aquarium. I have everything but a filter and livestock. Now see what you did.

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

lol, sorry ;)

Come to think of it, i think i have a 10g in the shed. That sounds like a decent plan. Could get more of a school of tetras that way.

10. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

What's wrong with this picture?lol

So i decided since its my boys tank its his tank, so this is what I get! Blue and white pebbles, glow in the dark plants and a Betta! The bad part, while looking at fish, he only wants platys and ugly mollies! Gonna try a different lfs and hope that changes!;)

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  11. SwimsWithFish

SwimsWithFish Giant Squid

whatever floats his boat.;)

1 person likes this.
  12. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

LOL, when I was a kid and had a tank, I had to have the colored gravel and brightly colored plants.