Freshwater peeps help please!!

Discussion in 'General Freshwater Information' started by cosmo, Mar 11, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. tharsis

tharsis Peppermint Shrimp

The Betta will most likely work, they are certainly entertaining and incredibly beautiful.

Most likely he will be fine, but my biggest concern is with the shrimp.

Also, if you are looking to get some cool snails, you can sometimes find some really cool zebra nerites.
    These are much more attractive than the mystery snails and they are MUCH better algae eaters.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

You can sometimes find them at the Petco/Petsmarts, I would ask the fish manager to see if they can order some for you. I am pretty sure they are easy for them to get as the one near me used to have them all the time.

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

awesome thx for the help!

4. tharsis

tharsis Peppermint Shrimp

No problem! Have fun with it :)

My very first aquarium ever was a 10 gallon FW tank stocked with feeder comet goldfish lol, i have come a long way in this hobby. I set it up for my 2 year old daughter initially, but she didn't really care for it at all. Two years later though she is now taking quite an active role in my hobby. She likes to help with the feeding and the maintenance, I try to get her input as much as possible but it is hard to explain to her that Dory won't be happy in my 20 gallon tank.

It is great that your son is taking an interest in aquariums and that your guys have a shared hobby.

5. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

thx man, thats why i kinda have to let him take the lead on the fish for this as much as possible. I need him to have a vested interest in the tank so he will care for it.

6. ZC42

ZC42 Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

The betta with the tetras will, work (originally I wanted the same) but the betta will only co exist with the tetras bc they are fast enough to get away from him when he gets aggressive... So they may be stressed all the time. Also, nerites are the best! They cleaned one of my 10 g that was covered in algae in a week. (2 snails) or get a dwarf pleco- I love mine. Maybe insteadof the betta make endlers? Glass cats are really cool too.

7. Babytank

Babytank Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

You probably already know this, but if you split the end of a toothpick and stick the beta food in it, you can teach the beta to eat from it. It's a fun thing for a kid to do! Havr fun :).

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

No i didn't, thats awesome. thx, i'll be super dad d=for 5 secs with that info. thx for the help

10. zoo 4 life

zoo 4 life Coral Banded Shrimp

I would stay away from the mollies unless you like ick in your tank, also they like the water a bit on the "brackish" side, I would opt for other live bears, guppies or platties would work in place of the mollies. Don't be fooled by their smallish size, dwarf gourami's cam be aggressive. But, a planted tank of neon's and gourami's always has looked cool to me. The school of neon's that always seems to happen can be really impressive. Good luck, miss my FW days! Wife only allows SW these days!

11. Grog

Grog Astrea Snail

+1 on the Mollies, they live in brackish water in the wild and will live in a sw aquarium. I've always liked Ram Chiclids, peaceful but not the easiest to keep.

12. BigJim

BigJim Spaghetti Worm

I think we are going to have you in a 100g cichlid tank before this thread ends. lol