Freshwater peeps help please!!

Discussion in 'General Freshwater Information' started by cosmo, Mar 11, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. nyvw

nyvw Skunk Shrimp

Im sure you can find good deals around, one of my lfs had a 10g kit with heater/filter and substrate for $20

2. Click Here!

3. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

ya know i had a 10g set up in my hands today from my LFS and scanned the barcode with my phone and saw it was $15 cheaper shipped through amazon so i left or else i'd already have the tank. Gotta love technology

4. BigJim

BigJim Spaghetti Worm

I have never had a betta, but the rest of the list looks good. I also agree that the starter kit is a good idea.

1 person likes this.
  5. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

Thanks for the help, just wanna know if there is a cool freshwater fish I'm missing.

6. SwimsWithFish

SwimsWithFish Giant Squid

When it comes to freshwater, IMO, a species tank with a centerpeice fish looks best. 7 neon tetras with a gourami or betta would look AWESOME.

1 person likes this.
  7. tharsis

tharsis Peppermint Shrimp

Bettas can be aggressive, it really depends on the fish. Kind of like people, some are just jerks. :)

I would add the Betta last so that it doesn't develop territorial issues. Also avoid fish with long fins as they betta can associate it with another male. The tetras can definitely nip the Bettas fins so watch out for that.

I wouldn't be surprised if the betta goes after the shrimp as well. Again it depends on the individual but Bettas in general like a good shrimp buffet.

8. Click Here!

9. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

OK I vote heck yes on this, any one have other thoughts?

10. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

I thought FW tanks were easier? lol.

11. tharsis

tharsis Peppermint Shrimp

lol...Bettas can be a tricky fish. There are alot of people that keep them in community tanks with no problems but there are also ALOT of people that have had horrible experiences. There is a reason why majority of Betta tanks only have the one fish :)

You could look into a scarlet Badis Badis. They are very colorful and peaceful and interesting behavior.
    [​IMG]

As for the choice between a betta and a gourami...I would get the gourami. They are pretty cool fish.

[​IMG]
    They will often build nests out of java moss when they get in the mood.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2012
  12. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

Nice info man! LOL, i highjacked my kids tank again, my current tank started because my son got to pick a pet for a good report card and he picked nemo, now he picked a Betta and I'm stealing this again, so i kinda have to do the beta.