Freshwater peeps help please!!

Discussion in 'General Freshwater Information' started by cosmo, Mar 11, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. SwimsWithFish

SwimsWithFish Giant Squid

OHHHHH that's wierd!

2. Click Here!

3. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

His choices:
    Fancy guppies 2
    Molly
    Cory Kat 2
    Flounder
    Ghost cat
    Dwarf frogs 2
    Ghost shrimp 12
    Painted tetra

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  4. grinder37

grinder37 Whip-Lash Squid

geez,i had to put sunglasses on to look at that quite colorful tank ;)

1 person likes this.
  5. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

Yep, i feel like i need to be back in college with mood enhancers to own this thing, but its his tank, his deal! lol

Kinda proud of the fish he picked out though. still wish he'd dig on a school of neon tetras, but for some reason he hates them. The flounder, ghost cat, cory kats are cool as heck though. I even dig the ghost shrimp, more active than i thought.

6. grinder37

Nah,i was just messin,looks great,sorta close to my kids setup :).We have a creek close to my house and go down and flip rocks for baby crawdads and through them in with the mollies and guppies.They're fun to watch (they move a ton of gravel a day,lol),they do well and don't cause trouble.Once they grow a bit,we put them back and get another few little ones.lol.Good luck with it. :thumb_up:

7. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

great idea, didn't know ya could add the crawdads. They won't eat the shrimp or frogs? We have a crick(lol) a few hundred yards away. That'd be cool to add to the tank. Wonder when crawdads come out for the spring? Wouldn't mind adding some to the Koi pond as well.

But its ok, the thing is BRIGHT! The only thing i forced was the addition of the live plants.

8. Click Here!

9. grinder37

We just wait till the waters warm enough to wade in (yes i'm a wuss with cold water,lol) but they do fine till it's the next spring when we return them (disclaimer-i'm not recommending anyone do this,it's just something me and my boy do for together time) but i feed a little extra for them and they forage around,then get really mad when i do vacuum the gravel and mess up thier little dens and they work like dogs putting them back together.lol

I did however throw some in a 55g cichlid and ropefish tank and it didn't turn out good for the crawfish,the cichlids ripped them to shreds before they'd hit the bottom and the ones that did,the ropefish would eat whole.

But yeah,i would bet on them attacking the ghost shrimp.Never had an issue with them attacking any fish though.

10. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

ahh, ghost shrimp are almost free anyways, sounds like a lot of fun. I used to love crawdad catching. Def gonna put this on the list of things to do. Maybe we'll find a cool salamander too!

I loved the look on the kids face at the LFS when he was talking fish with my boy though. I told him whatever my boy wants, and he said, don't ya wanna know how much that thing is? I laughed and said I just dropped $100 on a DD wrasse that didn't make it 2 weeks before carpet surfing so I'm sure that $5 is ok. The kid knew his stuff though and steered my boy away from fish that wouldn't work together. Gotta give him props for that.