Freshwater Dip...Are they supposed to look worse?

Discussion in 'Diseases' started by Ranchero, May 16, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Ranchero

Ranchero Plankton

I have 2 tangs that came down with ick and are already in my main tank.
    Well I was able to catch them and do a freshwater dip and everything went great but I have one concern.
    The blue tang almost looks 100% new except for maybe 3 or 4 spots. Yet my other tangs spots are whiter now and even ones I never noticed are showing. Will they eventually fall off? They were in the dip for 10 minutes.
    I know there are parasites already in the water so will doing another dip in a week help?
    This is a reef so I cant treat the whole tank.

2. Click Here!

3. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

Ranchero
    FW dips IMO are not the solution in this scenario - you have a vicious circle in the making

tank has the parasite, fish get infected, you FW dip infected fish, fish are stressed and become victims of the parasite in the DT once again

if you remove a fish FW dip it and then move it to a tank where the parasite is not, then I can see the logic in that

if you remove a fish and can QT and treat with meds , that would be OK IME

if you remove all the fish and put them in Hypo salinity and only return to DT after 8 - 10 weeks when your sure the parasite has cycled out - that may be OK IME (sometimes worked and others didnt for me)

but if you remove fish with parasites FW dip and then put them back in main tank
    I dont see this working out to well for you

if you can catch your fish to FW dip them I suggest you catch them and cure them with Copper based meds as IME of all the options available for parasitic treatment they have been most succesful for me through the years

The above is just my opinion and others may have different experiences and thus different opinions

Steve

Last edited: May 16, 2009
  4. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

Steve is pretty much on the button. IME freshwater dips make it worse. Just more undo stress for a superficial treatment. If you have really good water, feed them a high quality diet and they will pull through. If you have not so good water or they stop eating, then do a full hospital tank and treat them with copper.

1 person likes this.