freshwater co2

Discussion in 'The Planted Tank' started by jonathan, Feb 22, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. jonathan

jonathan Aiptasia Anemone

thanks for the help covey, much appreciated.

2. Click Here!

3. Redbeard

Redbeard Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

The Web site for Aquatic Gardeners by Aquatic Gardeners

I tried for a long time to establish a planted tank without much success untill George and Karla Booth ran a 4 part series in AFM many years ago. I set up a low budget plant tank loosely based on the information from those artcles and it was a great success. It's still up and running today.

Here's a link to everything you ever wanted to know about planted tanks:
    http://users.frii.com/gbooth/AquaticConcepts/index.htm

Great stuff here. Worth taking a close look at for anybody that's serious about setting up a planted aquarium. (IMHO)

Ted

4. Black_Raven

Black_Raven Scooter Blennie

Jonathan, thanks for asking the question about CO2 and FW plants. My son wanted a 20g FW planted tank which is up and running now. We just bought one of those yeast fermenters and it seems to be working ok. We are using aan emporer 280 bio wheel filter and I'm wondering if we are losing too much CO2 from the spray bar and biowheel.

5. texasrock

texasrock Plankton

Raven,

Ditch the bio wheel as it outgasses too much CO2. If you want a filter on it, I'd suggest a small canister filter.

I have a wet/dry on my 100 gallon planted, however, I have removed all the bio balls, drip plate, egg crate, etc... basically all it is now is a water reservoir for my return pump, powered dual sponge filter, pH probe, CO2 reactor and heaters...

Keith

6. texasrock

texasrock Plankton

Really the main culprit of CO2 loss is surface agitation/turbulance... that is why I said to ditch the bio wheel as this causes alot of surface turbulance/movement/agitation... you get the picture. ::)

7. Sambini

Sambini Plankton

Sorry to but in but.

What is this ADA site. Ive never had a lot of luck with plants but im thinking i might have another attempt and would like to see some good examples.

Thanks in advance