Freshwater Chemistry help needed!

Discussion in 'General Freshwater Information' started by biolojest, Jan 8, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. biolojest

biolojest Plankton

Getting the CO2 going again has done the trick - pH back to 7.0 and I've added enough tap water to get the kH up a bit to buffer it. Thankfully no more deaths, but I lost quite a lot of fish before getting this sorted - live and learn.
    I've put a couple of pics in the photos section Matt - my computer skills arn't up to adding a thumbnail here! Your tank looks excellent Travis, and I agree a well planted freshwater can look just as good as a marine.
    Thanks,
    Ben.

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Glad to hear it Ben. Good to know.

Just use this button to add pics in posts: [​IMG]

Your tank:
    [​IMG]

Great plant tank!

4. tmgrash

tmgrash Astrea Snail

thanks

Thanks Ben, your tanks looks real nice as well. Glad to hear you got your ph straightened out.

Travis

5. arookeral

arookeral Plankton

6. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

FYI in the future if any of you ever have a problem with a Spike in Carbonate levels or sudden upward swing in PH just pour Club Soda into the tank at a rate of 10 oz per Tank 50 gallons and that will pull it back in line add as needed with a 1/2 hr between dosages .. Club Soda should be close by for any reef keeper . Its is just CO2. And Far better then mixing vinegar and water and guessing at strength. Works for freshwater also..

7. djnzlab1

djnzlab1 Aiptasia Anemone

Hi,

HI,
    I used to have lots of problems with alk drops and acid ph spikes until this PHD, told me to try a little of the crushed coral in the gravel it stabilizes the PH at 7.4 , I thought it would bother my fish but have kept many this way for over 5-6 years and never had a problem with death, Most ph spikes in fresh water usally due to free carbonate completly used up, I used to dipstix for carobonate but the crushed coral worked so well I stopped.
    I have usally one well rinsed cup of the FLa crushed coral to 100 gal tank.
    It sounds crazy but works for me.
    I do use some salt for my south american cichlids most plants hate salt
    Doug