Fresh Water Dip???? YES or NO??

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by Roemer3, Jun 4, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Chris!

Chris! Banned

Then say hey this is the "by the book method" but I don't agree with it myself LOL Coming from someone who lost a Red Sea Eritrean Butterflyfish (look it up lol) I will never use the "book" method again, I am just glad I didn't lose my show size passer angel that I had at the time.... which is why I will continue to push not going by the book as long as the fish is eating. If its not eating your doomed anyway so go ahead and try what you want you may get lucky but odds aren't good. Yes, going by the book works sometimes but it is risky and IMO more risky then leaving them in the DT.

With ALL that I have said, said.... Initial and proper QT (which includes a proper sized qt for your fish) is the best way to go to lower your risks of contracting saltwater herpes in your tank.

2. Click Here!

3. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

perhaps I misunderstood the op, but I believe this is the only fish in the DT. I think the overall advice is to quarantine fish prior to adding to the DT which is good advice. I don't think anyone is advising to keep a whole DT full of fish in a 5-10 gallon tank while the tank goes fallow.

Overall, pulling out the infected fish at this point will just cause it more stress so keep feeding it and then decide if you wish to eradicate the DT of ich or if you want to just add fish slowly and deal with the possibility that new fish may get exposed to the parasite. That's an individual's decision to make for their own circumtances.

4. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

5. Roemer3

Roemer3 Astrea Snail

So do most of you agree to keep the Sick fish in the DS and just make sure its eating good and if so, Let the ich run its course?

6. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

Yes, as long as it is only a few spots. If it becomes covered, report back!

7. Chris!

Chris! Banned

As long as the fish is eating I don't care if it looks like a giant snowball, I wouldn't move it. Fish stops eating its doomed more often then not anyway. After you get it back healthy and you decide you want to QT and leave the DT fallow then that would be the time to consider moving it if you want to try to rid everything of the parasite IMO.

8. Click Here!

9. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

I have tried this method of not moving the fish, and it has only ended poorly. I recently had a Flasher Wrasse looking like a snowball. He ate very well, all spots were gone in a couple days, kept eating well, week later all spots back. Still ate great though, so I left him alone. Became covered a 3rd time, and this time it did him in. In the meantime, my Royal Gramma became covered, and all other fish started showing signs of Ich as well. The RG died shortly after.

I have no doubt in my mind that if I relocated the wrasse when I first saw him covered and put him in my HT (where all remaining fish now are), he would have had a much better chance of survival, and likely would not have caused my RG to die as well. There is a risk either way, but I feel like I could have and should have done more to help the situation.

This is just my opinion/experience. YMMV.

10. pgoodsell

pgoodsell Horrid Stonefish

In my old 55 I had several ich outbreaks and never removed or treated a single fish and had zero deaths. Just fed them with garlic soaked food. So it would seem it depends on several factors, how healthy the fish is to start with, stress on the particular fish, which might be why it showed sings in the first place. I guess it comes down to what your comfortable with. I know from having to remove fish from the tank how stressful it is to them. You can see them gilling and being totally freaked out and I cant see how this will help them fight ich which is directly related to stress in my opinion.