Fresh Garlic?

Discussion in 'Fish Food' started by offensetaken, Jan 8, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. offensetaken

offensetaken Montipora Digitata

Very good...Thanks for your input bud. I've never tried the store bought supplement either and don't wanna waste $20 for it if my fish aren't gonna benefit a whole from it or even like it in the matter. LOL

2. Click Here!

3. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

when you do it please post comments about how everyone in your house complains of the smell.

4. mazaj

mazaj Feather Duster

im interested in this topic and thanks for this thread. i want to ask if anyone knows if garlic (home or store ones) will benefit the fish beside attracting them to food. i mean: does garlic have any nutrition benefit to fish?

5. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

i'm not sure but it could help repel parasites like in mammals.

6. SAY

SAY Ocellaris Clown

lol. i think the only benefit is stimulating feeding. it is the aquarist's version of "stink bait". :)

7. mazaj

mazaj Feather Duster

thanks, i have to try and see if i can notice any difference. i'll soak 1 smashed clove in water for the night and start using it tomorrow. i hope my wife wont kick me out of the house, lol.

8. Click Here!

9. offensetaken

HAHAHA. I am actually not a big fan of garlic myself. ::) I think I'll be doing this out in the garage. ;D

10. offensetaken

Yah I've read that's it helps in prevent ich and such. Not sure if it helps their immune system at all.

11. SAY

SAY Ocellaris Clown

i don't believe that there is any proof that garlic helps the immune system, However, it does encourage feeding which in turn helps the immune system of course.

12. offensetaken

Just thought I would post this here to clarify for all that are interested in the benefits that you may get from soaking food in garlic.

I got this off of Foster and Smith Aquatics website. This is their desciption for Kent Garlic Extreme.

* Naturally strengthen your fishes' resistance to parasites, fungi, and bacteria
    * Enhance everyday food with potent, nutritious garlic
    * Entice even the finickiest eaters to take food

Garlic Xtreme?
    Nutritious garlic naturally strengthens your fishes' resistance to parasites, fungi, and bacteria - enhances everyday food to entice even the finickiest eaters.

Garlic Xtreme helps boost your fishes' immune systems and encourage proper feeding with natural, nutritional garlic. You'll easily give all your marine and freshwater fish a potent source of garlic which helps combat infection and disease, while naturally attracting fish to food. Simply soak food with Garlic Xtreme, and even the finickiest eaters will be enticed to eat. You may also add Garlic Xtreme directly to aquarium water if fish are not eating.
    Garlic Xtreme contains no artificial ingredients or steroids, and is safe for all species of marine and freshwater fishes, plants, live corals, and other invertebrates. Does not require refrigeration. 1 oz treats 1,200 gallons.

So, is there truth to what they market? Or is this another case of Bad marketing? Hmmmmm?