Fragging Xenia

Discussion in 'Frags' started by Stingray, Sep 26, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Stingray

Stingray Blue Ringed Angel

My friends coming round tomorrow, and he too as a tank so i promised him some free xenia frags, easily done i know, but if i was to cut say 3 frags would the leftover stump in the tank release any toxins or anything else i should worry about?

2. Click Here!

3. Crabby Jim

Crabby Jim Sea Dragon

I know when you cut that zenia you are gonna want to vomit when you smell it but I don't know if it is harmful to the tank in any way. I usually try to give it away on a small rock you could place a few small rocks around your colony and wait untill it spreads onto them then give it away.

4. missionsix

missionsix Super Moderator Staff Member

I've taken scissiors to my xenia plenty of times. Nothing to worry about. Just start hacking away at the pieces you want to crop/cut.

5. gazog

gazog Kole Tang

It will but they are mildly toxic, all you have to do is run a little carbon and every thing will be fine. Make sure you leave enough on the rock and it will grow back, all you need is a little bit.

Oh yea and crabby is right, don't get to close, in fact I try to put it in the bag right in the water or else the whole room will stink in a matter of seconds.

6. Stingray

i just done a water change and added a new super active carbon sachet to my filstar xp 2 its supposed to be 5 x more effective then the normal ones, not sure whether this is good or bad though should of checked before i bought it i suppose, but thanks for the info guys..

7. JohnnyBoy

JohnnyBoy Purple Spiny Lobster

Since were on the subject, I heard that after you cut the stalk, you can cut it down the middle and it will grow that way also......is this so?

8. Click Here!

9. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

What to they smell like?

10. gazog

gazog Kole Tang

Johnnyboy, I not sure about that but I do know that as they travel to wards the light, and they do travel, if you cut the base and leave a little piece you will have a trail of little ones every where you leave a piece. So it stands to reason that if you cut it like you said it will grow just fine.

Av8Bluewater, to put a word to it.... OLD PUKE!

11. {Nano}Reefer

{Nano}Reefer Dragon Wrasse

my first xenias died and where decaying inside the tank. when i pulled them out i vomited, luckily outside the water column ;D but that stench still remains in my memory...

12. Stingray

Sounds nice, i am looking forward to it .....not..