Fragging Torch and Clavularia

Discussion in 'Frags' started by PackLeader, Nov 1, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

I really need to frag my torch and pink glove badly. Any tips would be appreciated, since I have not done either. I am assuming on the torch, you make a cut on the skeleton as far away from the heads as possible, and the gloves are handled like zoa's?:confused:

2. Click Here!

3. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

I tried to read up on the torch. It seems that you just need to try to make a clean cut on the skeleton. Using a dremel with a diamond tipped cutter gives the necessary sharpness to do this without chipping or cracking the skeleton. Or a very sharp handsaw. Sheers were mentioned, but I cannot imagine getting a good cut with those.

4. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

As for the clavularia, if it has a mat to it, I would frag it just like GSP.

5. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

No mat. Thats why I was thinking like individual polyps/zoa's

6. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

gotcha....Hmmmmm. Will look somemore.

7. suckafish

suckafish Montipora Capricornis

did you ever get that torch fraged? if so what did you use to cut the skeleton?:confused:

8. Click Here!

9. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

Actually I haven't yet. I had to move, and when I set the tank up I re-did the aquascaping which allowed the torch a lot more room. When I do frag it though, I will use some sort of handsaw. I dont like the power tool idea simply because it can be very harmful for a torch to ever leave the water colum, so with a handsaw I can make the cut while the coral is still underwater.

10. suckafish

ok that was my thought to. away to cut it while still in the water. my buddy was taking of using something like bone sheers. medical tool used to cut through bone. it would be faster then saw. but the problem is where to get it

11. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

That would probably work. The only reason I wouldnt want to use shears is because I'd be afraid it would crush the skeleton more than cut it. But if it was something as sharp as a medical tool I wouldn't see why not at least give it a try

12. suckafish

now i just need to steal one next time i end up at the hostipal. Where do you think they would keep one of those?