fragging polyps

Discussion in 'Frags' started by wareagle35031, Apr 25, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. wareagle35031

wareagle35031 Bubble Tip Anemone

O.K. here is my question, I bought a plastic grate from lfs with lots of polyps on it, how to i remove these from this grate to something im my tank?

2. Click Here!

3. missionsix

missionsix Super Moderator Staff Member

What kind of polyps are on it? Zoas etc. ?

4. wareagle35031

yeah zoas

1 person likes this.
  5. gazog

gazog Kole Tang

What kind of polyps? If they are Zoa's first thing you do is get a pair of rubber gloves and a full face plastic face guard, you know like the guys grinding steel use. Zoa's are EXTREEMLY TOXIC!

They best way it to break or cut around the polyps and super glue them to a frag plug, or what ever you want. break the plastic off right up to the pylops, they wil eventulally grow over anything still showing.

Sometimes if your real carefull you can use a razor and seperate tem from the the plastic but this is not easy and you might not want to try it.

6. missionsix

I would say you could carefully pluck them off using your fingers. I wouldn't tear after them though. Depending on how well they are attached they should come off fairly easy. I've had zoas reach out and grab a neighboring rock and attach before. They were starting to grow towards a dangerous coral. I finally decided to move the main zoa piece and had to pluck some of the ones off that were spreading. It shouldn't be too hard to get them off. Try a little test on one of them. Re-attaching to a new piece should be easy using super glue gel.

7. missionsix

8. Click Here!

9. wareagle35031

10. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Palytoxin is an incredibly complex marine natural product containing 71 stereochemical elements. Palytoxin, isolated from soft coral (most notably, zoanthids), is considered to be one of the most toxic non-peptide substances known, second only to Maitotoxin.

Typical symptoms of palytoxin poisoning are angina-like chest pains, asthma-like breathing difficulties, tachycardia, unstable blood pressure, hemolysis (destruction of red blood cells), and an electrocardiogram showing an exaggerated T wave. The onset of symptoms is rapid, and death usually follows just minutes after.
    [​IMG]

GLOVES AND EYE PROTECTION A MUST WHEN HANDLING ZOA'S!!!!

11. wareagle35031

got a few of them off i'll take some pics and post

12. Boredm

Boredm Spaghetti Worm

did you manage to live? WTF? Stereochemical? How many people have died from unwittingly sticking their hand into a tank to retrieve a specimen? Jeez