Fragging Acans?

Discussion in 'Frags' started by Zoanthids21, Feb 11, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. BTowned

BTowned Peppermint Shrimp

You can cut the tissue with a knife, then use your knive to chisle cut through the skeleton and rock. If the knife is sharp enough, you can cut the skeleton away no problem.

2. Click Here!

3. Zoanthids21

Zoanthids21 McKoscker’s Flasher Wrasse

Okay..Cool, ill try that 2marow with an acan. Ill let you guys know how it goes!! Wish me luck!

4. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

Unless the skeleton is thin, I wouldn't use a hobby knife. Dremel or wetsaw or wet bandsaw.

Let's put it this way: do you really think a hobby knife will cut through limestone?

Last edited: Mar 17, 2011
  5. Zoanthids21

Pretty sure its thin..

6. silor

silor Sea Dragon

angle grinder and a tile blade takes two seconds dont mess with a knife youll hurt yourself and your cans !!

7. Zoanthids21

Im pretty skilled with a knife, but i dont have any blades, or electric tools or anything.

8. Click Here!

9. silor

silor Sea Dragon

I thought mine were thin but ohhhh know there was a half a inch of skeleton under them and it freaking hard

10. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

I'd want to be 100% if I were you. They really do build huge skeletal structures, and not all of it is apparent if you haven't seen a dead one, or one melt away. I mean, the acan looks to be a couple mm thick if you judge by the polyp size, but that has a big skeleton under it, like 10-20x the thickness. And they build up more and more skeleton over time.

If you do try it, cut it from the skeleton side first. You don't want to ruin its' tissue and risk it dying if you're not gonna get a frag out of it.

11. Zoanthids21

Im going to ask my LFS if they can frag it for me, or if they have one i can borrow.

1 person likes this.
  12. silor

silor Sea Dragon

angle grinds are super cheap and can be rented for cheap at the depot and the blade and cheap too just a fyi Id hate to see ya cut you hand :(