Fragging a Rock Flower Nem??

Discussion in 'Northeast Ohio Reef Club' started by wyssj, Oct 10, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. wyssj

wyssj Plankton

I was possibly looking into getting a rock nem but was wondering if you can frag them??

I have a maxi mini that I have fragged, and I know you can frag BTAs. Just not sure about rocks.

2. Click Here!

3. Reloadeddevil

Reloadeddevil Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I think rock Nems produce babies when they get mature, and their babies can be found underneath their flower part.

4. wyssj

wyssj Plankton

so like zoas?? I read somewhere that you can frag them...then I read somewhere else that they only reproduce sexually so you would need a male and a female nem.

5. skurious

skurious Sailfin Tang

Most nems just split into two seperate nems. not sure about rock flower onces specifically.

6. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

its called cloning with nems. you can use a surgical steel scalpel and divide then evenly in to pieces. I know alot of people do this with BTA's but I would just let nature run its course.

7. Thatgrimguy

Thatgrimguy Flying Squid

Epicystis crucifer isn't known to assexually reproduce from any information that I've read. So, I would be reluctant to frag that species. Most sources say it's certain death... BTAs and magnificas, on the other hand do naturally divide assexually, thus are better candidates for fragging in my opinion.

More research confirms, you can't frag a rock anemone (Epicystis crucifer) with cutting. You will just kill it.

8. Click Here!

9. wyssj

wyssj Plankton

Thanks to all, I think I will just avoid that with the rock nems.