Frag tank / responsiblity training / excited 3yr old

Discussion in 'Show Off Your Fish Tanks!' started by DBOSHIBBY, Feb 11, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. DBOSHIBBY

DBOSHIBBY Sleeper Shark

So long story short me and my x fiance broke up and I have my daughter at my house still. She's 3 1/2. She's been going with me to fish stores since she was born and actually has a good amount of knowledge when it comes to tanks. She asked me if she could have a tank in her room. I figured it would be good for her to learn how to keep a pet and have a responsibility. She already told me on her own that she will change the water lol she sees me do it all the time.
    So here we go
    This will be a 10g with a aquaclear 110 hob
    4bulb t5ho
    Stocking will be a clownfish and a cleaner shrimp
    I will be filling it this weekend

Another thing I told her is if she is good for the week I will frag something she picks out of my tank and she can put it in hers.

The tank is going to sit ontop of her dresser that is high enough to where she can't get to it by herself.
    Pics to follow.
    Hopefully she learns a bit more from this experience.

2. Click Here!

3. Brennan

Brennan Gigas Clam

Sounds very cool, are you going to mod the aquaclear into a fuge?

4. DBOSHIBBY

DBOSHIBBY Sleeper Shark

Yes the aquaclear is modded into a fuge. in the tank I have also siliconed in the front of a eshopps overflow box to make a small overflow section. the aquaclear will pull out of the box. Hard to explain without pics lol

5. Brennan

Brennan Gigas Clam

I see what you mean, it will hide the intake tube of the filter. Are you going to add any additional flow?

6. DBOSHIBBY

DBOSHIBBY Sleeper Shark

Yes sir u got it. I will also be drilling a few holes in the bottom of the box so the whole tank will drop level with evaporation instead of just the box. Additional flow might be a korilia #1 but I'm not sure if I need it yet. Ill have to see how good it is once its full cuz the aquaclear might be enough.

7. Brennan

Brennan Gigas Clam

Great idea, I would definitely add the K1 depending on what coral your daughter pics because you will have to dial down the flow to the minimum on the aquaclear if you want the Chaeto to be able to do anything. I believe the minimum amount of flow on the 110 is 160gph.

8. Click Here!

9. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

This sounds very interesting, we will soon see how your daughter does

10. DBOSHIBBY

DBOSHIBBY Sleeper Shark

Ya I have the k1 handy in case I need it. My daughter is in love with acans. So I think it will be mostly full of them. She has good taste too lol

11. Brennan

Brennan Gigas Clam

Nice! my favorite coral is acans also LOL

12. scadsobees

scadsobees Fire Shrimp

Sounds like fun! Be careful with it on the dresser though...if she decides to climb the "stairs" to look at it it could be a very very bad deal.

1 person likes this.