FRAG PACKS - where to buy?

Discussion in 'SPS Corals' started by johntekin, Nov 17, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. johntekin

johntekin Fire Worm

So I am in the market for a 10-12 SPS frag pack and need your opinion and experience on where to buy. I like to buy small frags and watch them grow!
    I don't want to end up with 10-12 brown SPS frags and I understand that purchasing a pack give you less control.

Here is what I have found so far....

yourreef.com - 10 frags for $99
    mainstreamaquatics.com - 12 ORA frags for $99
    reefhotspot.com - 8 frags for $50

Anyone have any experience with any of these retailers or other retailers with a good value on frags. Your opinion is appreciated!;D

2. Click Here!

3. johntekin

johntekin Fire Worm

antlanticseafarms.com - 8 frags $50
    mrcoral.com - 9 frags for $90

....????

4. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

I've bought a pack from MSA before, and they're pretty good. Great customer service IME. Frags are on the small side, but then again, so is the price. Had a few errors in shipping, including cold packs during 60 degree weather in my area (probably warmer down south TBH, but no research was done...), and a mixup, but I got a random group of frags out of the whole ordeal (a few died or didn't recover from shipping).

I have also bought packs off eBay from Reef Empire, which were great (they put up auctions on Thursdays, and end on Sundays, and don't always have packs), also with great customer service. You bid for those, but they're typically a better size.

5. johntekin

johntekin Fire Worm

Thanks Blackraven. I am leaning towards MSA as they claim to be ORA.

6. blackraven1425

MSA has ORA frags, but they're not "ORA frags". As in, they're not direct from ORA - they're frags of colonies grown from ORA stock frags.

7. johntekin

johntekin Fire Worm

Are there any other suggestions as far as a retailer other than msa. I. Would think that many would have experience with purchasing frag packs from other retailers.

8. Click Here!

9. drew3

drew3 Blue Ringed Angel

some good coral dealers are liveaquaria.com tritonsgarden.com wetthumbfrags.net

10. blackraven1425

I would also check out your local reef club. There's likely a forum for them, and they will likely have a few people who do frags.

11. jonjonwells

jonjonwells Great Blue Whale

I have purchased coral for Live Aquaria DD, Reef Empire, Reef Pets, and MainStream Aquatics.

Best packaging is LA, hands down. RE is slightly behind, but still excellent.

I received awesome corals from all vendors. The RE ones are pretty good sized frags. My MSA frags were direct ORA frags. You do pay a good price for them though, as with any ORA.

I would purchase from any of these vendors again.