foxface and tang fighting

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by rdarris, Apr 6, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. rdarris

rdarris Feather Duster

So I introduced a new foxface rabbitfish to the tank today, and my existing sailfin is picking at it a bit. I fed just now and that has distracted the sailfin for now. is there anything i can do to stop the fighting, or does one need to come out? It never occurred to me to worry about the sail fin fighting with non-tangs i had read they were fairly peaceful.

also rearranging the rock work i not an option its zip tied together in places not easily reached.

2. Click Here!

3. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

This is normal for established fish to pick on newcomers. Give a few days to end, but be prepared to move the foxface to QT if it gets injured.

4. veedubshafer

veedubshafer Banned

Give it time. They will more than likely get used to one another.

5. divott

divott Giant Squid

tangs like to be the kings. and since the new adeition was added after it, hes asserting dominance. hes showing the foxface whos boss. if it continues, try the lights out early , and see how they are tomorrow. i would think it will subside. my purple did the same to my kole tang, next day after lights out early, all was fine and has been since. good luck

guy

6. BMOUCHKA

BMOUCHKA Astrea Snail

I would think the foxface will hold his own if the same size. Mine flares his fins up and the sailfin usually leaves him alone...

7. RedGambit

RedGambit Giant Squid

Just an FYI as far as Im aware, Foxface are considered the cousins of tangs, they are surgeonfish If I remember correctly. Alot of sites group them together under the Surgeonfish title.