Found these last night in my Chaeto.

Discussion in 'ID This!' started by scajeo, Dec 28, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

When you feed your tank look for little arms sticking out from crevices

2. Click Here!

3. scajeo

scajeo Sea Dragon

I'll keep an eye out but that lil guy about 2 inches in the 210 will be interesting to look for but we're excited.

4. CBSurfrider

CBSurfrider Millepora

I have two very large ones in my 300, prob 12" in diameter and creepy as all get out.

5. scajeo

scajeo Sea Dragon

LOL..... That's what the wife thinks of the one. She can't stand it but haven't seen it since I moved it last night to the DT.

6. kstafford003

kstafford003 Feather Star

Too funny.

7. CBSurfrider

CBSurfrider Millepora

Wait til you go on that late night snack attack a year from now and the thing is creepin across the glass! Mine was out last night and I took a video, but I can't post vids on here. They are beneficial though

8. Click Here!

9. scajeo

scajeo Sea Dragon

They say the same thing about bristle worms, NOW, those creep me out!! I'd rather see the brittle starfish than those sons of guns. While I was deployed in 2003/2004 my wife had a friend of mine help her tear down my 75. We had more bristle worms in the tank than we had water. NASTY!

I had a 80lbs of crushed coral for a bed and she bleached all of it washed it out, let it dry and then repeated! She then put everything in baggies and packed it all up awaiting my return. When I retired in '04 we packed it all up and moved out here. 10 years later, I decide that I'll use some of that crushed coral in my fuge. I wash it out, thoroughly and added it. Now those dang bristle worms ( Eurythoe complanata ) are back and so far contained in the fuge. I know folks say they're beneficial but those things never stop breeding and get huge.

So my new questions I pose:

1) Did I properly identify them?

2) What I've read about them, some say beneficial, others say they bore into coral. Which or are both true?
    3) Are their bristles actually poisoness?
    4) What will keep them under control? Wrasse?
    5) I was thinking about emptying the fuge out today clean it out and then add live sand or is it to late and they could be in my DT already? The crushed coral has only been in the fuge for about 2 weeks now.

Eurythoe complanata found dec14.JPG

10. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

scajeo likes this.
  11. scajeo

scajeo Sea Dragon

Thank you Corailline for the quick response.

What to do what to do what to do!?!?!?!?!

12. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

I always put mine back in the tank, never had an issue but I keep small bio-loads, butttt the worms I had were HUGE although few.

Other members give them the sewer tour claiming all worms are bad or they do not want to take the chance.