Food

Discussion in 'Fish Food' started by nwfd1725, Feb 24, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. nwfd1725

nwfd1725 Purple Spiny Lobster

i am planning on this fish list in my 75g and was wondering if i could get food from like walmart or something to feed them in the frozen seafood section thank you

1 yellow tang
    2 clowns
    2 anthias

cleanup crew
    crabs
    snails
    one or two shrimp

thank you please comment

2. Click Here!

3. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

Hi - cant comment on specific list of fish above and sea foods from supermarkets or other sources - but can say - I have fed various species of salt water fish on items such as green mussels , chopped prawns,
    mussels I froze them and when required cut one in half - dropped it in and watched dwarf angels, larger angels, triggers etc clean then out - fighting off the shrimp who try and sneak in

4. salsalito25

salsalito25 Stylophora

hmm.. i use wardley's shrimp pellets its a fresh water food with a cory cat fish on the front and all my inverts and fish LOVE Them... Oh and make sure you get the sinking ones if you do try them out..

Good luck....

5. infamous

infamous Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

If you read the Nutritional value on those frozen foods you will surprized on how much of it is just water/moisture.

Look for things like Protein and Omega-3 on the label. Make sure its high in protein.

Here are the stats on Cyclopeze aquacultured copeods
    Protein min. 63%
    Fat(Lipids) min 23 %
    carbhydrate 8.5%
    Ash 3.5%
    Astaxanthin (pigment) 2867ppm
    EPA 11.74%
    DHA 11.09%
    Average size - 700- 800 microns

[​IMG]

Its almost impossible to find anything that beats these values

I just wish i could make these things sink instead of floating but the fish love them

Last edited: Feb 28, 2009
  6. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

I feed mine a variety of things. Mixture of Formula 1 and Formula 2 dry. Frozen brine shrimp every once in a while (it's fish candy...not much nutritional value). Frozen Emerald Feast is good. I always put a strip of algae in on a clip tied to a piece of fishing line. I have four fish that dine off of that. Just mix it up and make sure you vary things. Different fish have different needs. Your tang will need veggies. The clowns will eat whatever and I am not sure on the anthias. I do know they are harder to keep and do better in a 72" long tank. If you have not purchased them yet, you may want to reconsider.