Food for corals

Discussion in 'Fish Food' started by tresguey, Nov 21, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

I don't traget feed them it is just free floating. Survival of the fittest, eh?

2. Click Here!

3. GraviT

GraviT Coral Banded Shrimp

My sand polyps and heliofungia will catch mysis and anything else they can get ahold of! I use DTs to feed my clam, zo's and feather duster, and Cyclopeeze for the LPS at night. As for the fish, I've got too many choices to list..they eat better than I do!

4. tresguey

tresguey Fire Worm

actually i never visited there web sight. i go right to the store since its just down the road from me. they have bioplankton, coralplankton and marineplankton with cyclop-eeze in it. these last two products just came out. they say bioplankton is best for the filter feeders and clams, coralplanton is best for soft corals and sps with small capture polyps and marineplankton is best for lps, fish and sps with large capture polyps. all can be feed to all corals and fish. but marineplankton cannot feed filterfeeders or clams. i got this info from a paper from them. and i did just hit there web site and it is not updated. but im sure you can email them for more info. all i know is that my tank loves it. and is inexpensive. i just found out that one of my lfs started carrying it the other day. so you may want to ask about it at your lfs.

5. reiple

reiple Fire Shrimp

homemade. Fish roe, squid, mussels, tuna, spirulina and nori. Chop, shred, pack in flattened zip locks and freeze. Break off to thaw and spread in tank. See your corals show their hungry tentacles! ;)

6. tresguey

tresguey Fire Worm

sounds yummy to me! im sure all the stuff you listed was raw correct? well if it worked for you i just may give it a try.

7. hoodoo

hoodoo Fire Shrimp

reiple: how much do you mix up. I mean, do you use same amounts of each? and where do you get it, normal supermarket?

8. Click Here!

9. reiple

reiple Fire Shrimp

if you're gonna cook it I suggest you do not include spirulina and add instead garlic, butter and olive oil. low flame. serve as anti-pasta....just kidding.

10. reiple

reiple Fire Shrimp

[quote author=hoodoo link=board=Coral;num=1101115607;start=15#15 date=11/24/04 at 05:56:57]reiple: how much do you mix up. I mean, do you use same amounts of each? and where do you get it, normal supermarket?[/quote]

I have to apologize a bit. I forgot it might be different there (USA) than here (Philippines). Here you can go to any wet-dry market and buy all the stuff (fresh and raw). I am not sure if it is the same there.

I initially chop up in large (1/4 inch size) bits the tuna, squid, mussel. I shredd the nori. The spirulina is in the form of flakes so I just add it. The fish roe is 4x any of the other items (so if the fish roe is 1cup, the tuna will be 1/4 cup and the same for the others). The nori and spirulina I just estimate. So it's not really scientific the way I do it but hey the corals go wild when I feed ;)

BTW I noticed one particular coral which does not react as frenzied or as favorably. These are polyps. They close then open up after a while.

11. hoodoo

hoodoo Fire Shrimp

well, Since I live right at the coast I should be able to get that stuff at some market. I'll try that, it sounds pretty good ;)

12. Om_Seeker

Om_Seeker Astrea Snail

Hi Reiple (and everyone),

I was wondering if you turn off your pump when you feed and swish around your frozen buffet. Is there any need to (I have an overflow box)? I think some of the food gets sucked out by the overflow.

Also, won't your fish, eel and other critters get to the majority of the food before any of the corals?

How big of a frozen piece do you break off for your 60 gal tank? What I mean here is your objective to have the tank water cloudy with food particles so the corals will be able to capture the bits?

(I also read your replies on "Birdlady's new corals" about feeding 4 hrs after photoperiod begins and 1-2 times/day.)

Thanks.