Food for Brine Shrimp?

Discussion in 'Fish Food' started by Ransom92, Mar 16, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Ransom92

Ransom92 Plankton

oh, I've just been sprinkling in the flour like regular fish food, would this be okay? I don't mind if the water quality decreases as I can just change the water every week.
    and thanks for the info!!

Last edited: Mar 17, 2012
  2. Click Here!

3. rayjay

rayjay Gigas Clam

No, most of the particles are too large and need to be micronized to a size that the brine can uptake.
    You can blend enough for two or three days and store it in the fridge in a pop bottle, adding as needed.
    If you feed a bit too much you will have to change the water more often than weekly. Problem is that much of the crap you want out of the system will be captured along with the brine in the mesh/net you use to do the water change.
    Be sure to use an open ended air line (rigid air line tube) for water circulation and for surface agitation to promote gas exchange.

4. Ransom92

Ransom92 Plankton

Okay, well I've done what you've said but I've noticed the water has turned cloudy, does this mean they're not eating the food? :cry:
    It has been cloudy since last night, after feeding them.

5. rayjay

rayjay Gigas Clam

Well as I can't see how cloudy it is I can't say if you've dosed too much.
    I add the blended foods until they just colour the water.
    Depending on how many bbs there are, and what quantity of water they are in, it will affect how long the cloudiness will last.
    If you don't see any cloudiness after adding some food, there isn't enough for normal population density of bbs.
    It's also possible that the food you previously added has now decayed and may add to the cloudiness, or is feeding a bacterial bloom that causes cloudiness.
    Can you tell me what kind of set up you have and how much cysts you hatched?

6. Ransom92

Ransom92 Plankton

I have a 10 lt tank, and I can't count how many shrimps there are, I hatched half a table spoon of shrimp eggs, these eggs have a 90% hatch rate.
    I've been feeding them 2 teaspoons of the wheat flour mixed in water, 2-3 times a day. Hope this information helped :)

7. rayjay

rayjay Gigas Clam

First off, a tank is not the best for raising them in because there is too much settlement of the food. A cone is best but not practical for me so I use 5g water bottles and 26g rubbermaid containers. The rubbermaids are tilted on an angle to have a low point for best food circulation but it's not as good a using cone which for the size I need is cost prohibitive.
    I hatch a heaping tablespoon (12 grams) and put in 20g of water so on that scale your 1/2 tablespoon should be in close to 10g not 10L.
    I hope that is 2 teaspoons of powder blended in water and you add a little of this 2 to three times a day, and NOT 2 teaspoons of powder each feeding.
    Did you decant the blend leaving the settlement behind for disposal? It needs to be left overnight for this to work appropriately or you end up with too much large particulate matter for the bbs.
    It make work ok using the whole mix for the adults if you get them to that stage.
    I also hope you keep your remaining cyst in the refrigerator.

8. Click Here!

9. Ransom92

Ransom92 Plankton

Yes, it is two small teaspoons of flour mixed in water as you mentioned before, I left the bottle with the mixture inside to settle for a day or two, the remaining thick mixture at the bottom was thrown away.
    The water is still cloudy, so I don't really know whether I should stop feeding them until the cloudiness goes or to continue feeding them?
    Seeing as how they're still alive, can I safely say that they do in fact eat the mixture? as I've heard the shrimp will die within 36hours of no food and this is now my 6th day with them?

10. rayjay

rayjay Gigas Clam

All I can do is guess that you are putting too much food in the tank.
    You have to do water changes until it clears, and then start feeding again.
    Add very little and wait for it to disperse. If it doesn't give a slight clouding then add a touch more until it has slight cloudiness after dispersion occurs.
    Only add when the cloudiness disappears.
    Hopefully it's not a bacteria bloom from the food earlier that was just sitting on the surface.
    It's still possible that they don't like that particular flour or that the particles are still too large for the age.
    I go away for long weekends and don't feed the brine so they can go at least that long without.

11. rayjay

rayjay Gigas Clam

FYI, if the quote function is not needed for your new posting, just go further down on the left side and click "Post Reply".
    Saves a lot on scrolling as the thread gets more replies.

12. Ransom92

Ransom92 Plankton

The thing is, I can't change the water, the shrimp are so small, the air pipe would suck them out with it, and I don't have a net that I can use.
    If I could change the water, I'd do that now but I'm really sure that some of the shrimp would get sucked out with the water.