Foamback reef tank

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by maxalmon, Jan 15, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

I don't think he posts here anymore. I think he just was posting this same thread more or less on several forums one week...

even if it was horn tooting, I don't care, it's fricking awesome, the directions are clear and I'm very glad this thread is here. it is really an awesome look.

2. Click Here!

3. mattheuw1

mattheuw1 Montipora Capricornis

I just want to know how its holding up over time. People say the foam starts to break down with the weight of the rocks. I need him to come back with some pictures of his fully stocked reef with the diy background to assure us all that it works great, and there are no negative affects. I think i will give this a go on an old 10g I have sitting around.

4. john_o_vision27

john_o_vision27 Plankton

Hey there, I'm new here and just came across your builds looking for ideas for my own tank. Trying to keep it lower budget rather then 50lbs of live rock.... This looks awesome! A lot of work really pays off. However, I do have one question, and sorry if I missed it, but how did you stop the foam from breaking down from the UV?

From the pictures, it looked like everything took very well to the live rock, but will things cling/form on the foam at all? (if it's even exposed?)

Thanks!

5. bioreefdude

bioreefdude Fu Manchu Lion Fish

this is one sexy tank :mellow:

6. stud_man50

stud_man50 Flamingo Tongue

i was thinking about doing this, but instead of foam, do a giant "thin" DIY live rock up the whole back wall, with a wider base then the whole back wall would have shelves and textures etc. but eventually the whole thing can become alive, make it in about 4 sections for easy placement and removal and have the "lock" together... just one of the projects i want to do.

7. basile

basile Feather Duster