Foamback reef tank

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by maxalmon, Jan 15, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. coolguy2863

coolguy2863 Plankton

looks great. where did you put the heater?

2. Click Here!

3. Isurus79

Isurus79 Astrea Snail

Does the foam take anything away from biological filtration? In other words, is the foam porous in the same way that live rock is so that the 'good bacteria' can do its job or is it totally water proof and is actually taking away from space that could be filled with live rock aka bio filtration? Im just wondering because Im going to set up a 12 gal nano cube and Im debating between plain ol' live rock and the foam plan that you've shown and this is the only sticking point that I cannot seem to resolve in my brain! Thanks!

4. tigerlily

tigerlily Feather Duster

I love how you made shelves with this, very cool!

5. tigermike74

tigermike74 Panda Puffer

Looks like a coral reef right out of "Finding Nemo" with all those lush colors. :)

6. tigermike74

tigermike74 Panda Puffer

I'm sure the heater will go in the rear filtration chamber that the JBJ nanocubes have. That's where mine goes anyhow. :)

7. reefer Bob

reefer Bob Montipora Digitata

I like how the foam backs look more than most tanks. I seen one where a guy did one all sides and framed in the front. It makes you consider doing one. Makes me wonder if anyone could even tell. I dont see how a real aquarium reef could look that good unless you had a ton of rocks around every edge. Good job,

8. Click Here!

9. JorgeL

JorgeL Plankton

Great project :D !!!

10. maxalmon

maxalmon Flamingo Tongue

I use about 10-15lbs of dead LR to the foam when I make a project like this, given time this will become LR and give you a decent amount of surface area for bio-filtration, I also add about 10 of fully cured LR in the form of LR that can be layed against the foamback. So far I have had no problems and the tank are thriving with no adverse issue. xenia loves to attach to the foam along with just about anything else.

My goal with nano foam backs is to eleminate dead spots and increase water flow to eleminate detritus, by placing only 1 or 2 flat pieces of cured LR in the tank and leaning them against the foamback, you notice a drastic decrease in junk on the sandbed along with a noticible decrease in nitrate issues

11. maxalmon

maxalmon Flamingo Tongue

Thank you...

I have about 10 projects in the works as I make a lot of custom nano tank backs, I have templates for all the brands. I'm owrking on another one that will have the L & R side walls about half coverd in foam. Starts about 4" from the top and angles downward to about 2" from the front. SHould be a really trick looking nano when done...HQI sps tank

12. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

How did I miss this thread?! That looks fantastic! Please keep updating us as this tank matures!