Fly's first reef tank Custom Fluval Edge 6 gal

Discussion in 'Show Off Your Fish Tanks!' started by flyfshrmn98, Jun 22, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. flyfshrmn98

flyfshrmn98 Astrea Snail

So I bought a 6 gal fluval edge a while back and thought it would be sweet as a little nano reef. This will be my first saltwater aquarium but I have always wanted to have one. There will be lots of learning along the way. Hopefully my experience with freshwater planted tanks will help. The biggest problem with the edge is the lighting or lack there of for reefs. I decided to build a custom lid for it and retrofit it with 9 3 watt LEDS. It has 5 white and 4 blue on separate drivers so I can control them each. Here are some pictures so far. Right now its just tank and water. Have some live sand and hoping to get some live rock tomorrow or this weekend. Will update as I go. Comments, suggestions, and critiques are appreciated!

Here is what the outside of the new lid looks like. I had fluval send me an extra base and I cut out the center to fit around the original lid.

[​IMG]

The 2 LED drivers fit perfectly in the base

[​IMG]

Underside with the LEDs on heatsinks

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tank with water in it tonight:)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Click Here!

3. chelseagrin

chelseagrin Fire Goby

awesome little tank, was gonna use one as a nano but decided against it. they need a ton of modding as you have shown to be reef capable.

4. Biocube

Biocube Giant Squid

Very cool!!!!

What heat sinks are you using to cool each LED star?

5. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Very well done mod

6. missionsix

missionsix Super Moderator Staff Member

Nice modifications! Welcome to 3reef!!!8) What do you plan on keeping in the tank?

7. flyfshrmn98

flyfshrmn98 Astrea Snail

thanks for the comments so far! The heatsinks I bought on ebay are little aluminum heatsinks. They are .9"x.9"x.39 I superglued 4 of them together in a bigger square for each LED. Once I had the bigger square they fit perfectly between the original lid and the base I used. I used a caulking adhesive on the edges to hold them in place and thermal adhesive for the LEDS.

As far as stocking the tank the plans so far are to get my live rock in and wait for it to cycle then add a clean up crew. Probaby a couple shrimp, some snails, and a small crab or two. As far as fish I was thinking a clown goby and maybe a small clown or a different tiny fish. Corals I will need to do more research on but I know I like the look of zoas and frogspawn.

I think I am going to add some kind of pump for more flow. Would a koralia 240 be enough?

8. Click Here!

9. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Very nice.

Welcome to 3reef.

10. flyfshrmn98

flyfshrmn98 Astrea Snail

So I finally was able to pick up some live rock today and get the tank done! The tank consists of about 75% live rock and 25% dry rock. I put the rock in first on the glass so it wont settle later when I get my livestock. And after the sand I have a cloudy mess! Do I leave my filter off while everything settles or go ahead and turn it on to help clean?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. flyfshrmn98

flyfshrmn98 Astrea Snail

I ended up taking everything out of the filter and putting in filter floss instead. Everything looks good this morning except for the sand below the hob output. I have a nice hole there! Thinking Ill either have to put a rock there, take the sand out and replace with something heavier, or cap with something heavier

Here is a shot of it this morning

[​IMG]

12. FatBastad

FatBastad Zoanthid