Fluctuating water height (I GOT IT!)

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by diverdan, Mar 26, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. diverdan

diverdan Bangghai Cardinal

Well with the new plumbing installed (which I like. Looks a lot cleaner and frees up some space) I am still having the issues. As soon as I get time I am going to pull the standpipes out and clean them and see if I can dial them in again. That was a multiple hour evolution last time. Well, gotta do what you gotta do.
    Any advice?

2. Click Here!

3. diverdan

I am going to claim success!
    Let me explain. So I decided to pull the standpipes, clean them and readjust them.
    I found my black clown that was sick and didn't make it. She was hiding in several pieces in a standpipe. (Not the issue but wanted to share.)
    I readjusted the vent lines in the standpipe to where they were just below the water inlet. Took a few minutes a adjusting them but I got it pretty quick.
    I checked the return level and I was having a minor fluctuation still, about 1/16" fluctuation and it was at random times and just didn't make sense. Then I remembers several comments about wavemakers and how they might cause problems. I thought since I koralias that it wouldn't be a problem. But I went ahead and shut them off anyway. The water level dropped about 1/8" and then stayed there, didn't fluctuate. I thought, "this can't be, really." I turned them back on and the water level rose again about an 1/8", and fluctuates 1/16" randomly. I turned them off and on multiple time over an hr just watching it. I thought that i was just loosing my mind and the koralias can't cause this, but, it was.
    I think multiple factors like the vent line and the k's played a factor. The placement of my k near the overflow box and the randomness of the flow the k's produce enhanced an issue with something else. But I got it! Super stoked!
    Thank you all for your help and your support to get me through this. All the help is much appreciated.

1 person likes this.
  4. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

woo hoo! *high five* glad you were able to resolve it!

5. Marty

Marty Stylophora

Awesome! Nice fix. Sorry about your clown. :(

6. Astrick117

Astrick117 Stylophora

Congrats on finding the issue! I figured Vortech/ wavemakers would cause something like that, but like you, I never would have guessed from koralias...

7. diverdan

Thanks everyone! I wouldn't have been able to figure it out if it wasn't for the help. Thanks again.

8. Click Here!

9. Jlobes

Jlobes Coral Banded Shrimp

right on!! thats a great feeling. glad you got it figured out.

10. diverdan

Thanks jlobes. It was a great feeling when I sat there and nothing happened. Spent many hrs in front of my sump watching the water raise and fall. I was stumped. But with determination and help from others. It is not fixed.