Fluctuating water height (I GOT IT!)

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by diverdan, Mar 26, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. diverdan

diverdan Bangghai Cardinal

I don't understand, what's wrong with using a hydrometer? This is news to me. Been using a hydrometer for years.

2. Click Here!

3. Nuebie

Nuebie Peppermint Shrimp

Mine tested my tank water at 1.026. It was at 1.040 and I lost fish because of it at least it's the only thing that was off and I can blame it on.

4. Nuebie

Nuebie Peppermint Shrimp

I even cleaned mine often to make sure thee was no salt creep to mess up my readings. Looked for air bubbles also. Mine was off, Way off

5. dbaumer71

dbaumer71 Astrea Snail

Water fluctuations.

Don't know if this will help or not, but you may want to play with the tubes in your overflow box. I had this same problem in a previous 55 gallon that I had to buy a new tube for the overflow that was 1/4" more than what came with. Just a thought, can't say if this will help or not. '

Good luck

6. diverdan

Well anything that is another thing to look into. I just re did the plumbing to m sump and removed all 90s and only have 2-45s on one pipe. There is still a 1/8-1/4" fluctuation in water height. I would say its got to be the utubes or the standpipes. This is getting really annoying. I was really trying to stay away from messing with the standpipes again because they were a pain to dial in to begin with. Well I guess I have to mess with them again.

Thanks for the help.

7. Greg@LionfishLair

Greg@LionfishLair 3reef Sponsor

You don't have a leak at your standpipe-bulkhead interface, do you? Or your overflow box-to-tank seal, maybe?

I know someone who went crazy until they figured out that was the problem.

Just tossing it out there for your to check...

8. Click Here!

9. Biocube

Biocube Giant Squid

I know my MP10s change my water levels a lot. I has to defer my ATO 60 min when turning on.

Here's a pic of my water level going up and down.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1364921369.910330.jpg

10. diverdan

Greg,
    Maybe I just don't understand where your referring to. The seals on the bottom of the hob box are sealed and no water. There isn't any water coming out anywhere. Could you explain a little more for me?

11. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

Don't these type of overflows have some degree of full siphon, and some degree of sucing air into the pipe as well? Could that fluctuation be your cause?

12. diverdan

Yes Todd, I have a vent lines that go into each standpipe. Each vent line has a valve on it to control the airflow. If the valve is closed too much it will full syphon. There is a sweet spot with them, their quiet but maybe I just don't have the sweet spot.