Fluctuating water height (I GOT IT!)

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by diverdan, Mar 26, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

Dan, 1/32"?

Thanks for answering my questions.

The way mine is set up, my sump won't overflow, plenty of extra space there for power offs, or power outs.

Here's the link to my thread on the HIgh water cut off, and it has the link to the product in there.- I had felt the $70 was kinda high, but I now realize the device works flawless, well built, and does rely on floats and switchs or relays.
    http://www.3reef.com/forums/filters-pumps-etc/i-slept-good-before-now-even-better-134476.html

Here's my post on my DIY ATO system, and the added resevoir to the system.
    The things I like about it that others may not, is that is uses no pumps, and no relays or electricity at all. I also understand that it is not ideal for everyone.
    http://www.3reef.com/forums/i-made/new-mods-todds-diy-ato-new-pics-post-16-a-133471.html

2. Click Here!

3. diverdan

diverdan Bangghai Cardinal

Devin, it was down a 32nd in just minutes. That is what I did when I noticed that little of a drop. I did wake up this morning and check the water level and it is an inch from the mark about 7 hours ago. I don't know what's happening. My evap shouldn't be that much in 7 hrs. I marked it again and will check it when I get home.
    I did close the valve to the fuge plumbing. So now I'm completely clueless on what it can be.

4. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

How big is the compartment that the 1" drop is in.

Is this the only place that the level will fluctuate on your system?

Could be evap., etc., My 125, (I think that is also what you have), goes thru about 2gallons a day roughly.

5. diverdan

Thanks Todd. It might just be evap. I just haven't watched it this much in a long time. The section is only about 8 inches wide by (a 40g breeder width) I usually go through 1 to 2g a day so you may just be right. Since it might be constant now I might just notice it more.
    Would you agree .

6. 55gfowlr

55gfowlr Zoanthid

I agree with the Evap on that little of a drop......It's not a full 2" swing like you were having before, so that's promising. Also, you are still running your skimmer through this whole event, and that proves one more thing, it's either your plumbing, or your ATO, and nothing to do with the skimmer. Best of luck. You're doing good so far.

7. diverdan

Well my ATO has been off this whole time. So it proves its my plumbing. But where, that's the confusing part.

8. Click Here!

9. diverdan

So the ATO is still off. I want to watch it for a few more days before I let it go on its own. I went ahead and again, temporarily soft plumbed my fuge up to my manifold till I can gather up all the right fittings to hard plumb it.
    After I dialed everything in again and got the fuge and the carbon reactor running I watched the water level. It is still moving but it's only moving less than 1/32" I know that's hardly anything but its still moving.
    My next step is to move the ATO down about 2" because I don't want the water at the height it was. Just too much water for comfort.
    I want to look into one of the high water alarms that Todd mentioned.
    Does anyone have any ideas what can be causing such a minor fluctuation in water height?
    Thanks again for all the help.

10. Nuebie

Nuebie Peppermint Shrimp

The only other thing I could possibly think of is maybe your baffles has water getting through the seam and its just trying to level itself out. Is there a way you could shut your return pump off and stop water from back flowing and see how the water reacts within your chambers?

Its a long shot (maybe way long) :) but maybe worth looking into

11. diverdan

Thanks not so "Nuebie". I did my water change last night and tried that out. My sump baffles are solid. Unfortunately , or fortunately I have no leaks.

After I got everything running again last night I noticed the 1/4" to 1/2" fluctuation. So since my Refugium is being plumbed off my manifold now and not from my overflow, my next step is to remove the elbows from my return. On one pipe it will go straight down and the other one I will use 2-45s to get it to where it needs to be instead of 2-90s. I am hoping that will do it otherwise I think it's my stockman standpipes. Kinda hoping its not the standpipes because I don't want to go down that road again.

So what do you think?

12. Nuebie

Nuebie Peppermint Shrimp

..... Ill be a nube for years to come. Just lost a bunch of fish because I was using a hydrometer not a refractomer. Feel like an idiot but that's another story. Hopefully reworking the drain pipes helps. Sorry this has been such a pain for you