Flow for clams?

Discussion in 'Clams' started by shorty590, May 28, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. shorty590

shorty590 Astrea Snail

Just wonderin how much flow does a clam(t. maxima) generally require? Is it possible to have too much flow?

2. Click Here!

3. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

Clams require moderate water flow. YES, it is possible to have too much flow causing them to stress out and their mantle to not open up fully, which ultimately will lead to bleaching of its mantle(contains zooxanthellae)and death.
    try to avoid laminar current as well(one way stream) and direct flow of water by your powerhead for best results.

4. Black_Raven

Black_Raven Scooter Blennie

5. Sh0ckbyte

Sh0ckbyte Astrea Snail

I've read (never owned a clam) that the biggest thing to avoid with Clams is agitation of your substrate, IE, flying sand and other junk. They breathe in the water, and if there's sand (or really anything else large and inedible in it) they get cut and clogged. It's like a human trying to breathe in a sand storm. Think about how little it actually takes to make us cough... now think about the clam's case as being similar, just with "thicker air." That said, pumps and hands both can agitate your substrate, so try to avoid agitation from both.

Also, since clams will attach themselves to a rock, and cannot be trivially removed, you should be careful with placement, especially considering that in the future, you may need to agitate the substrate, or otherwise get the water dirty. (My idea is a dedicated "platform" stone for the clam to sit on, but which can be removed. Others may advise why this is a good/bad idea. I lack the experience to know for sure.)

(No, I'm not considering a clam at all I swear... not doing any research on them and lighting requirements either... really... don't you believe me? ;D )

6. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

In adding to what was mentioned above! One of the most detrimental thing you could do to a clam is move it once it has become established where you originally placed it! This is brought on by stress from variations in flow and lighting especially!!!
    Clams are awesome however, and I think everyone should try adding a clam to their reef tank!! just my opinion-