Float Switch Mounts?

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by APC, May 21, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. APC

APC Gigas Clam

Hi All,

Anybody have a good suggestion on how to mount float switches for an ATO system? What have you all done?

2. Click Here!

3. DevinH

DevinH Montipora Capricornis

Mine uses a plastic mount that sits on the side of the tank. Autotopoff.com

4. Dodger745

Dodger745 Flamingo Tongue

I used some plastic mounts I got at work (lowes) from the electrical dept. like what you use to mount wires to a flat surface. The clip went around the round part of the float switch housing and I was able to attach it to the side of the cabinet right above the sump. So that I can adjust the height of the switch in the water. I'll try to sneak over there and get a pic

5. tgood

tgood Sea Dragon

Coincidence but I was just researching the parts at lowes about an hour ago because I need to setup an ATO system. If you have pics that would be great because I'm heading to lowes later!

6. jkat21

jkat21 Bangghai Cardinal

I could use some pics of that myself..TIA

7. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

My DIY ATO uses some float valve's, but no switches.
    No elctricity, no pumps, and refills the resevoir automatically. Gravity is my friend, from my RO/DI, to the rsevoir, to my sump. I do use a simple cut off valve to the resevoir, so if hell frooze over, and I had 2 heavy duty float valves stick at the same time, it would only add a max of 4 gallons, over a few hours to my DT- not budging my SG.
    Not many variables to fail- has worked flawlessly

Lots of designs, etc.

For a mount, my float valves are drilled thru my resevoir and sump wall, ABOVE the water lines. An advantage when using plastic containers.

You could easily make a mount that would mount the style float valve I use for my DIY ATO, when drilling is not an option.

If anyone is interested, here's a link to my DIY ATO build thread:
    http://www.3reef.com/forums/i-made/todds-diy-ato-new-pics-post-16-a-133471.html#post1338187

8. Click Here!

9. MatroxD

MatroxD Plankton

I made a dual mount from eggcrate. It would have looked much better had it n been black crate, but it works great! The bottom has my low level switch and the standoff/tilt brace has my high level switch.

I like it simply because it's one unit(Lego brick as I call it) that when I need to clean it, it's all one piece and can be done at the same time.

Attached Files:

10. jkat21

jkat21 Bangghai Cardinal

Another fine use of egg crate. The duck tape of the reefing world.

Last edited: May 21, 2013
  11. Dr. Bergeron

Dr. Bergeron Peppermint Shrimp

I really like those egg crate holders!!!! Excellent work! I might have to get rid of my plastic mounts and make one of those instead. (i'm ham fisted so they look like crap)

12. MatroxD

MatroxD Plankton

Lol, thanks. It just came to mind because I have a sheet of it from making a skimmer stand. Much cheaper than the rest made ones.

And I'm new to using it in this fashion, but yes, it truly is the build all of diy little projects.