FLiPPER Nano Scraper Packs a Big Punch

Discussion in '3reef Radar' started by Matt Rogers, Oct 19, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

The Flipper Nano algae scrubber/scraper is the little brother to the Flipper Standard yet handles big tasks with equal ease. Algae on the aquarium glass? Gone in seconds. Waterline kalk build up? No problem. This is a nice scraper that is easy to handle too. Read for full review.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Got kalk? No problem.

I am a big fan of the original Flipper Standard and have continued to break it out for heavy build up that my Mag Float could not handle. However, the Standard may have just been retired. While it performed big tasks with ease, basic algae removal was a bit more of a chore as the strong magnets and fairly large size of the Standard made it cumbersome and hard to move fast on my 1/4" thick glass 2' cube tank. I was so impressed with how it removed kalk buildup that it really didn't occur to me that a much smaller version would work much better on my nano aquarium.

Fortunately Flipper thought of this. And the Flipper Nano really performs. Algae removal is as quick affair as my small MAG-Float, possibly faster thanks to the more raised velcro-like scrub pad. Size-wise, the Nano is only a bit larger than the MAG-Float as shown below, but at least a 1/3 smaller than the Flipper Standard.

[​IMG]

The Flipper Nano really glides on 1/4" glass. Even crossing corners can be done quickly without breaking stride as shown below.

[​IMG]
    Corners are no problem.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Unlike the MAG-Float - which floats when separated from the handle, the Flipper sinks. I actually prefer this as it does not seems as susceptible to strong current and gives you more of a chance of retrieving it. In several tests, I was easily able to get it back without getting wet. Only once did it get away from me. Yet, when it did, it remained anchored to its spot while resting on its blade. That made it easy to get back. My MAG-Float likes to go for a joy-ride and often ends up in the overflow.

Those with big tanks with 1/2" glass probably get similar performance by design out of the Flipper Standard as I do now with the Nano on my 1/4" glass. And that makes sense. I am very happy Flipper has addressed the needs of those with average or small aquariums. I had no idea that I needed a Flipper Nano to be honest. But I am sure glad I have one now. The Flipper Nano is a very competent scraper for $24.99. Available now.

matt

More:
    http://www.flippercleaner.com/

http://www.3reef.com/threads/flipper-algae-scraper-review-its-all-in-the-flip.128535/

zesty likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. floydie83

floydie83 Flamingo Tongue

Nice review! These always seemed pretty effective.

4. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Thanks Floyd! Do you have one?

5. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

would you recommend the nano for a regular sized tank (60 gallon)? I'm just wondering regarding the smaller size may be better at getting into tight corners and areas.....I need to get one of them very soon......

6. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Regular as in 55 and below? If so, absolutely. Anything bigger than that then I would consider the dimensions of the glass including thickness and go from there.

7. zesty

zesty Sailfin Tang

I'm almost to the point that they should have options of a float/non-float.

I clean a 120 tank that's full of rock and coral. When I lose this, it get's taken for a ride, it could be troublesome!! So far, I've been lucky and been able to retrieve it with a long handled algae scrubber (haha, the irony of getting one algae scraper with another)

However, the one I use is ok, it won't get the hard spots. I still need to go over some stubborn areas with a handled scraper. However, that isn't enough to make it a bad product, it still works well.

8. Click Here!

9. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Mag-Float has a patent on floating. :)
    Personally I like the sinking as I find it easier to retrieve or connect back to the handle because it stays close. Then again, I have a small tank.

: flipper, nano