Flexible Foam Aquarium Backgrounds

Discussion in '3reef Radar' started by Matt Rogers, Dec 10, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

It appears that those cool DIY foam backgrounds are going commercial. Check out the Flexible Foam Aquarium Backgrounds from K and A Imports. Nice detail, but from here it looks like they have to work on the 'natural' part. The rocks are kind of floating. Look forward to more though and the marine versions of course!
    <br />
    <br />
    [​IMG]
    <br />
    Flexible Foam Aquarium Backgrounds from K and A Imports

This will beat those pesky plastic paper backgrounds with depth but you have to pay to play with this luxury.

More info:
    Aquarium Backgrounds: Flexible Foam Aquarium Backgrounds from K and A Imports

2. Click Here!

3. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

I wonder if they're strictly for freshwater use. Didn't see any mention of that on the description?

4. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

You mean these go on the inside of the tank? Nah... really?

5. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

I'm guessing yes :D

"The foam construction gives beneficial bacteria a place to colonize"

6. gazog

gazog Kole Tang

Actually looks kinda bizarre to me, like someone glued sand to a flat surface then cut some rocks in 1/2 and glued them on haphazardly too. Would have been much better if they had stacked them and added a few more.

7. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

I agree. Odd that they added detail to the rocks but did not layout the rocks very well.

@amcarrig - Thanks! :) I reread it now and that is an interesting 'bonus' with the surface area and the bacteria. I wonder if they recommend rinsing parts of it a little bit now and then.

8. Click Here!

9. ReefPlayground

ReefPlayground 3reef Sponsor

These are commonly seen in african cichlid systems. Yes they go on the inside, and the particular one above looks kinda shabby. They are also relatively easy to make, so do a little crafts project with your kids.

10. jtReef

jtReef Ritteri Anemone

LOL These will be great in the our setups. I can only imagine how big my bristle worms will get when they have such great hiding places. :)

11. Twan013

Twan013 Skunk Shrimp

my former LFS carried these, and had one in about half of his aquariums, both fresh and salt! they do look lame if you look at it uninstalled, but with a little sand on the bottom, and a couple of frags stuck to the side, it makes a big improvement. also, you would think these things take up a lot of space, but they're pretty flat, at most, it will take up a quarter of the floorspace.

oh yeah, its good to be back, once again.. lol... no immediate intentions on setting up another saltwater aquarium, but maybe someday...

12. techno2

techno2 Stylophora

You know why I never liked the 3-D back grounds, I can picture the fish thinking they can swim into it and keep bumping into the glass. Although that would be funny to watch though.

Kind of like Bart Simpson grabbing the chocolate bar and getting electrocuted, Owe, Owe, Owe, owe,.... Or the monkey that grabs the ants from the ant hill and doesn’t let go and can’t get his hand out.

Good find though Matt, those have always bee way too pricey.