Flatworm treatment

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by Piano10, May 16, 2016.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Piano10

Piano10 Aiptasia Anemone

So I have some really tiny flatworms in my 10g innovative marine.

These are so small i can't get a pick of them.

I'm planning on doing flatworm exit but was wondering if anyone has experience using the product.

Any advice?

2. Click Here!

3. Swisswiss

Swisswiss Caribbean Reef Squid

iv "lost" a system to rust flat worms a while back (had to tear down and restart) i hate them with a passion.....though i did not try flatworm exit i did try introducing a "natural predator", a 6 line wrasse....but to no avail..... flatworms are one good reason to setup a QT

4. Piano10

Piano10 Aiptasia Anemone

In all the tanks i had, its never happened.

I have no idea how i got them. I dip all my corals, inspect them well.

Whats weird, I hadn't added a thing to the tank for 2-3mnths-then they started showing up on the glass.

I hear its reef safe as long as you syphon the flatworms out as they die...these things are so tiny I'm worried I won't see them. The bigger bodied ones I know i'll see.

5. cody3819

cody3819 Bubble Tip Anemone

Never had to deal with flat worms but I have watched a few videos about them on YouTube. I would use it as recommended and with caution.... truthfully I would try a more natural approach because most videos I have seen something winds up dying.....

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

6. Piano10

Piano10 Aiptasia Anemone

The only natural method is trying a mandarin or wrasse and neither are guaranteed. Its hit and miss if they will eat them.

I refuse to put a mandarin in a 10g-that is just irresponsible.

As for wrasse, I have a royal dottyback already in there.

Everything i have seen which led to death is not the actual product but the toxins from the flatworm when they die....they can do that naturally. When they suddenly start to starve and die naturally-it can wipe out a tank.

So one things for certain, if you get flatworms get rid of them while the poluation is small. When they up and die the toxins kill everything, if you have large populations and use flatworm removal-same can happen.

So far naturally syphoning them out is not working.

It sucks!