Flat Worms or something else?

Discussion in 'Coral Health' started by Travis45, Mar 1, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Travis45

Travis45 Scooter Blennie

I've noticed on some of my shrooms these little flat weird guys on them. They move really strange around on the shrooms also while they are the mushrooms, the coral itself seems really irritated and not too happy at all. I have posted a few pics, lemme know what you think. Also if these are flat worms is Flat Worm Exit my best plan of attack?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Click Here!

3. slocal

slocal Doot!

Those are for sure flatworms. I've never tried flatworm exit. I'd suggest a freshwater dip for the affected coral and supplemental siphoning

4. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

flatworm exit works excellently but is a pain to use

5. slocal

slocal Doot!

And what about the toxicity of from all the dead flatworms in your tank at once?

6. Travis45

Travis45 Scooter Blennie

Yeah thats what I was wondering? I did my water change yesterday and I believe you need to do an immediate water change after dosing the tank with Flatworm Exit. I might have to wait till next week to run it.

7. slocal

slocal Doot!

Just be very careful. I can't tell you how many tank crash threads from FWE I've read. I think big colonies of FW's need to be manually removed and FWE is just for the remainder.

8. Click Here!

9. Travis45

Travis45 Scooter Blennie

Yeah thats a little scary, what can I do to manually remove. Could I take that shroom rock and do a freshwater dip on it?

10. slocal

slocal Doot!

Yes, like a 5-10 second dip with the coral upside down and a soft shake at the end in the water. Flatworms are very sensitive to salinity swings and should shake off very fast. Just be sure to have the freshwater decholorinated and have it's ph and temp to match your tank's water.

11. Travis45

Travis45 Scooter Blennie

Ok cool I have some RO/DI water I made up yesterday. Now what about the straggler flatworms that I see up a little higher on my rock work that our on random shrooms. The rocks they are on are basically unmovable. Will a turkey baster suck them off the corals?

12. slocal

slocal Doot!

You could try that or just use airline tubing to siphon them off in to a water bucket or similar container. I'd advise using the tubing or the baster at a low angle against the mushrooms. You don't want to give them hickies :D